Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upside down lighting fixtures

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
tschau3
31610 Views, 34 Replies

Upside down lighting fixtures

Would anyone know why my lighting fixtures are coming in upside down and is there a way to flip them over?  I'm brand new to Revit MEP and am hoping there is just a setting I'm missing.  Even the little preview in properties shows the fixture upside down.  Any help would be appreciated.  Many thanks...

34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
scott_dakin2
in reply to: CadManCook

Having discussed this a while back with others on the forums the generally accepted solution was to Monitor only. Horses for courses though.
Can't see how the architect can be responsible for light fitting locations when they are not doing the supporting calculations to ensure they are in the right place. Not the way it is done in the UK at any rate, MEP Engineers host all the lights.
Message 22 of 35
ree.espinoza
in reply to: CadManCook

you can copy monitor and map your fixture to replace the architects if
desired
trial and error try a few go thru your connections sheduling rendering etc
whatever you will be using the fixtures for
even 2d geometry for construction docs
best of luck
Maria

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Message 23 of 35
RobDraw
in reply to: scott_dakin2

IME over here, across the pond, Architects hire lighting consultants for the actual lighting calcs and MEP consulting designers/engineers are only responsible for providing power, a schematic layout, and scheduling documentation. Coordination of the fixture locations is done with the architect by information provided by the lighting consultant, either through the MEP firm or with the lighting consultant directly. It's their ceiling. We MEPs usually refer to the architectural drawings for final locations.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 24 of 35
scott_dakin2
in reply to: RobDraw

Our British Architects wouldn't usually touch lighting with a barge pole, apart from to mess it up or choose light fittings that cost 3x what they could to do the same job as a cheaper light fitting.
If they can get us to create our own setting out drawings they do, it's usually in our contract so I'm used to doing all of that for myself.
How come the MEP folks don't model the lighting layouts from the Consultant if they need to be circuited in the MEP model anyway, seems like a lost opportunity?
Message 25 of 35
RobDraw

@scott.dakin wrote:
Our British Architects wouldn't usually touch lighting with a barge pole, apart from to mess it up or choose light fittings that cost 3x what they could to do the same job as a cheaper light fitting.
If they can get us to create our own setting out drawings they do, it's usually in our contract so I'm used to doing all of that for myself.
How come the MEP folks don't model the lighting layouts from the Consultant if they need to be circuited in the MEP model anyway, seems like a lost opportunity?

Like I said, the architects are utilizing lighting consultants. Obviously, that's for larger projects only. For smaller projects, they still have the final say if they are the client.

Most MEP firms are modeling the lighting in either case. I do know that there is an alternative approach where they are only powering up the room level. In other words, they would show the power to a common point, like a piece of equipment that represents the load like a junction box. They also do the switching and show outlet locations as those are code driven. They don't do lighting calcs with a lighting consultant on board.

Technology consultants are becoming a thing, too. MEPs only show device locations. Everything else is on the consultants.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 26 of 35
Rndmann9
in reply to: RobDraw

There is no consistency to how lights are hosted from one manufacture to another.  The easiest solution that I use is to host the lights to a reference plane.  I usually go into a duplicate "north" view and draw reference planes from right to left at desired elevations.  And host the lights to those planes.  ie:  reference plane at 10'AFF.  Then If the heights change for what ever reason I can just move the reference plane and all hosted to it move with it.  Occasionally you still get the upside down plane.  I rarely if ever use the actual RCP planes in revit.  This however will not work if the light family was made as a ceiling hosted light.  You can lock the ref planes so you don't accidentally moved them once you have them at the elevations you want.Light Hosting.PNG

Message 27 of 35
scott_dakin2
in reply to: Rndmann9

I only use hosted families and would always try to host to the geometry in the model wherever possible. I tried reference planes but where there are several ceiling heights to choose from for any given level it got a bit messy plus nothing moved with the ceilings in the architectural model.
Not that your method is wrong of course.
Message 28 of 35
Rndmann9

Yeah I know what you mean - to keep them straight is easy - in the elevation view for lights draw a dimension from relative level to the ref plane and lock it. also name the reference plane appropriately.     So if its 9' above level one name the ref plane 9' AFF L1.  Then when you draw your lights you can pick which plane to host them to.  Im usually combining mine with an architectural model and dont really have any intention of drawing in their ceilings or keeping up with there changes outside of light heights.  Depends on the models though on how I approach it.  Most of the time I use them method above though.  I only draw these planes in a specific elevation view for lights which is usually a duplicate of the "North Elevation".  

Message 29 of 35
scott_dakin2
in reply to: Rndmann9

Don't the Architect's put the ceilings in their model?
Message 30 of 35
Rndmann9

Usually, but the lights from the manufactures are sometimes workplane based/ ceiling based or level based.  Personally I like workplane based better.  Also alot of the buildings I do dont have ceilings in all areas - mainly mechanical rooms and electrical rooms and its easier to control a pendant from a work plane than hosting it from a surface and moving it since the fixture "base" is usually the top of the pendant.  The elevation of the fixture matters to me more than the length of the pendant in almost every case.  Sometimes fixtures will not host to a linked ceiling either so you end up having to draw your own.  But the most common scenario is the architectural rcp doesnt match the electrical engineers rcp almost always-  not sure why.  The EE's is based off of light levels at the floor which makes it code compliant where the Archs is based off of aesthetics. 

Message 31 of 35
David125
in reply to: LukeRamirez

As in SHIFT+number 3 key?

Message 32 of 35
David125
in reply to: CoreyDaun

@CoreyDaunwrote:

Have you investigated the fixture in the Arch link? Are they ceiling or face-based in their file?

And by the "#" button earlier in the post, I assume he meant the "Flip Work Plane" icon that appears when you select an element:FlipWorkPlane.JPG

Correct, "flip work plane", I was going nuts looking for a way to utilize the "#" key. Doh!

Message 33 of 35
ltijer20
in reply to: tschau3

JUST CHANGE CEILING TYPE! same happened to me

Message 34 of 35
delossantoslb

I tried to flip mine back when I opened the sectional view, then clicked on the  lighting fixture (was working with a pendant light last time) and there's a parallelogram like beside where you can click on it to flip the lighting fixture as it's supposed to. 

Message 35 of 35
jegan532kk

1. I was click the lighting fixture and there is show the "modify lighting fixtures" and I click "pick new" option. touch the lighting fixture and move a mouse .finally flipped

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report