Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to create a family - how to make connector equal duct size w/o transition

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dglenn9000
1967 Views, 5 Replies

Trying to create a family - how to make connector equal duct size w/o transition

I am trying to create a generic diffuser family and my connector is staying the same size requiring a transition to connect to it. I am trying to make 1 generic 24x24 diffuser where the connector/neck size auto resizes for the duct connected to it. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dglenn9000

Select the Connector and under Properties you will see the Parameters that control the size. You will have to link these to the Parameter in the Family that controls the Diffuser's size. To Link this to a Parameter, click on the tiny gray button beside the Parameter under Properties. If you run into difficulties, can you post the .rfa file here?
Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
dglenn9000
in reply to: CoreyDaun

CADastrophe, thanks for your reply.

You stated:  "You will have to link these to the Parameter in the Family that controls the Diffuser's size"

I need it to link to a Parameter that controls the Duct size, not the Diffuser size right?  The diffuser will always be 24x24 (in this case) I need the neck (connector) to auto adjust when a duct is connected to it.  I have attached the family below.

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

Sorry - I misread your initial post. My previous statement was assuming that you wanted a static neck size. So... I don't believe that you can make the Diffuser's Connector auto-adjust to fit the Duct, it will always be the Duct that adjusts to fit the Connector. Connector with other System Classifications (i.e. Fittings) have the behavior of adjusting to the Duct, but the Diffuser's neck size is supposed to be set that Family, most commonly via multiple Types for difference sizes.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
dglenn9000
in reply to: CoreyDaun

"Connector with other System Classifications (i.e. Fittings) have the behavior of adjusting to the Duct"

Yes, this is what I was trying to mimic.  I figure if a fitting connector can adjust to the ductsize, why cant I make a diffuser do the same. 

... Actually, just playing around with it before posting this message, I found the problem is not that the connector doesn't autosize to fit the duct, it does. It doesn't auto size to fit flex duct for some reason.  I did not notice because I was always connecting with flex duct. So, it will not add a transition if I hard duct to the diffuser but it will add a transition if I flex duct to it.

Any thoughts or work around for this?

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

Alright, I see. The size of the Connector will adjust if it is controlled by a Instance Parameter. I'm too used to our being driven by Type Parameters. I also see that the Flex Duct does not force the Connector to re-size, as you said. So have you attempted the process of using standard Duct initially and then using the 'Convert to Flex Duct" tool afterwards?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report