Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The resulting angle between the segments is too great

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
danhaga
5332 Views, 8 Replies

The resulting angle between the segments is too great

I am getting this error when trying to connect 2 pipes using the "Trim/Extend To Corner (TR)" command in Revit MEP 2012 and 2013.

Error: The resulting angle between the segments is too great.

Is there a way to change the angle that triggers this error?

I am creating as-built models of MEP spaces so my pipe runs aren't all straight and perfect like Revit wants them to be and I need to be able to connect pipes that are at off angles. Take a 110 degree bend for example. I know the generic elbow can handle this but how can I get Revit to insert it that way and bypass that error.

If I try and drag the pipe ends together I get the same error or this one "No auto-route solution was found".

Anyone have any suggestions or workarounds for this error other than manually placing elbows? I would really like it to work with the Trim/Extend command.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AnmarieJames8335
in reply to: danhaga

I too, struggle with doing MEP (electrical) as-builts in Revit. Maybe something here will help you with piping. To get around that error message, I get the 2 conduits I want to connect within a few feet of each other, then use the Conduit button to connect them. Revit puts in the fittings according to the angles of the starting conduits. Sometimes, if that error (or the no auto-route error) comes up, I have to widen the space between the unconnected conduits a little more - even just an inch - and it works. Or, try selecting in the opposite order or from a different view. Also, when space is tight, I've been known to draw what I need off to the side, delete the conduit pieces between fittings, reconnect, and move into place in the conduit run (because Revit won't do fitting to fitting like they do in the field). It's messy and time consuming, no question, but it works. Maybe someone else has a more efficient way. Anmarie
Message 3 of 9
danhaga
in reply to: AnmarieJames8335

I have tried all of these suggestions but no luck.  Thanks though for your help.

Message 4 of 9
markmcmicheal

If you can post an screen shot, I'm sure we can find a solution.  Sometimes its little things that can make a difference like making sure they are co-planar as Revit likes to connect things that are on a common plane.  Cutting a section can l show when things are slightly off plane of each other. The Align command can clean up a bunch of that stuff and makes the trim/extend and fillet tool work.  A 1/16" diffference in elevation can prevent Revit from connecting things.  Not only will it be trying to put in an elbow in the horizontal plane, but will also try to make another elbow for the elevation differences. 

Check out my reply to the curved conduit question as I've posted some ways I've found to deal with difficult conduits.  Also, Revit likes to try to use full 90-degree elbows to interconnect items.  This will result in some of the error messages you're getting.  You may have to cut a section and draw in your own angled offset.

Lastly, you need to make sure what you are trying to do is actually possible.

Message 5 of 9
Sandleaz
in reply to: markmcmicheal

I am creating as-built models of MEP spaces so my pipe runs aren't all straight and perfect like Revit wants them to be and I need to be able to connect pipes that are at off angles. Take a 110 degree bend for example. I know the generic elbow can handle this but how can I get Revit to insert it that way and bypass that error.

Just create your own custom pipe fittings and you should be good.

Message 6 of 9
markmcmicheal

The attached file will show you some guideance on why Revit does not like to make a continuous 110-degree elbow. You can make your own custom fitting, but before doing this you should confirm that in actually possible.  As the Contractors say, sure it looks good on paper, but you try to build it.

If you're not a family customization guy, then just plan to building things using standard components.  A 110-degree elblow is just a combination of 90 + 20-degree elbows.

Message 7 of 9
danhaga
in reply to: markmcmicheal

I am not worried about this being able to be built because it is already built.  I am laser scanning existing MEP spaces and trying to recreate them accurately in Revit.

I have links for sample files files.

JPG: Lets call this the as-built.  This is what i want the Revit model to look like.

PCG: As-built scan data/pointcloud.  Insert into Revit Center-to-Center.

RVT: This is a revit file with standard pipes fit to the scan data.  All pipes are aligned and meet at the end points.  From this point I would like to be able to go in and simply use the TR command to connect the segments for a result that looks like the attached JPG.

Make sense?

Message 8 of 9
Chris.Aquino

At this time, Revit will not auto-route conduit or pipe elbow families at acute angles. this is due to how Calculates the curve, and it won't go past 90 degrees. The workaround at this timewould be have a custom fitting at the angle you need.

We understand that this may not be the preferred workflow, and if you would like this behavior to change, this link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group.

I encourage you to use the feedback link as our Development group is always interested and would like to hear your feedback directly, since you are better suited to state the business case for a feature request.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 9 of 9
tkendrick
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

That's a bad electrician who put in a 110deg. bend. Bad Bad Bad!

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report