Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test project MEP 2010

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Randy_CaS
525 Views, 8 Replies

Test project MEP 2010

I am testing my ventilation families to verify connector config and I am not sure why I cannot get Exhaust System to include both the PCU (filter box) and separate exhaust fan. I can include one or the other only. When adding the exhaust fan I get a error "no available connector", it seems to be stuck on the default system when the PCU is added.

The attachment was too big, so I had to attach just the families. I am still trying to fully understand when to use Preset/Calc flow config and when to associate parameters for multiple-connector families, so if someone with system experience could take a peek I would really appreciate it.

Capture.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Randy_CaS

I loaded your families into a blank Revit MEP 2010 project and was able to connect all of the components to the Exhaust System (see image below). Is this what you were trying to accomplish? I just connected ductwork from one piece of Mechanical Equipment to the next. I was unable to recreate that error.

MechExhaustEquip.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
Randy_CaS
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for taking the time to connect them to a system. In your image, notice that all 3 families are part of the "default" system. I understand best practice is to create and define systems, so nothing should be in the default. Create a new exhaust system and try to add all 3.

Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun

I don't have the time at the moment to fiddle with it, but I'll look into that when I get a chance - that is, unless a more mechanical-savvy person jumps in to answer, as I'm more electrical.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

I achieved this result by changing the Pollution Control Unit to a Duct Accessory that "Breaks Into":

SystemMech.JPG

It seems that this equipments is intended to function as an "accessory", in that it is meant to be placed within a duct run.

Let me know your thoughts on this - if this won't work for you, another solution might be found, I think.

Message 6 of 9
Randy_CaS

Ahh, change catagory... did not think of that! Were you able to get the PCU out of the default system and into the named one? I don't see it on your list.

I applied your changes to my file and now the PCU is stuck in the default system. Getting closer, thanks

Message 7 of 9
CoreyDaun

I just opened the family and changed the system type to "Global" for each of the Duct Connectors within the family and it has now joined the Mechanical System.

Message 8 of 9
Randy_CaS

Thanks again for the input. I have had so many wonky results that I am not sure if the problem lies with my family, my skill at making systems or issues/bugs with the software. I opened the same file in 2012 and got different error messages altogether.

That said, before I tried changing to global, I was able to get the pcu out of the default system, all except one of the connectors in the family. Then, changing connectors to global got both connectors out of the default, but had flow direction errors. I went back into the family and unlinked the 2 connectors. This seems to work, but I am not quite confident the is the correct fix.

Something else I noticed is that when I ran the "Duct/Pipe Sizing tool, the changes to the size of the duct in the project actually changed the size of geometry of the family! ughh! I have all parameters for duct lengths as instance parameters in the family in case there are 2 units of the same model in the project that are connectred to different sized systems.

Message 9 of 9
CoreyDaun

I didn't have a single error pop up when I connected the system. Could you attach your current test project that's getting these errors?

You could change these Instance Parameters to Type Parameters. It is still pretty easy to create new sizes - in the Project Browser, you can right-click on a Type and select "Duplicate", and change the dimensions for the new type.

Perhaps Duct Accessory is not the way to go. If it remains Mechanical Equipment, but I believe that there will then be two separate systems: Fan to PCU and PCU to Hood.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report