Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System classification parameter in a family?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mark.silcock
1658 Views, 5 Replies

System classification parameter in a family?

Hi

I am working on a grille which has a side entry plenum box family nested as a duct accessory. The same plenum box is used for both supply and return grilles.

I was hoping there was a way for the plenum box to report in a schedule what system it is associated with so the schedule could display how many are on the supply and how many on the return for instance.

Cheers for any tips you can offer.

MS

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: mark.silcock

What if you counted the instances of the grilles that contained that Family? I would bet that you would be able to use the schedule's Filters to get only those Families, most likely by filtering by "Family Name Contains" or something similar. With this, you would be able to achieve the total quantities for supply and return.

If you are aiming to display more information than total quantities, could you elaborate a bit on your ultimate goal?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
mark.silcock
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Not exactly sure what my ultimate goal is but I guess it is having all information available for scheduling.

I have no issues with a grille schedule as that gives me lots of information to display or filter but when I create a duct accessory schedule I am limited to what information I can gather from the system it is in.

Screen grab of schedule attached, ignore valuse they are fictional at this stage.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
mark.silcock

As you probably have guessed the family in question is in the other post.
Message 5 of 6
CoreyDaun

I don't believe that you can achieve this without some manual work and upkeep. This is a work-around I can provide:

1. Ensure that the nested Family is marked as Shared. (Your Family appears to be, already)

2. Create a Shared Parameter (Text), named something like "System Info" (don't duplicate the System Classification name).

3. Open the nested Family and add this Shared Parameter as an Instance Parameter. Reload it into the host.

4. In the host Family, add this Shared Parameter as an Instance Parameter. Select the instance of the nested Family and link the value of that Shared Parameter to that of the host Family.

5. Reload the Family back into the Project, overwriting both it and the Shared Family.

6. Create an Air Terminal Schedule and:

a.) Select the Fields: System Classification and your Shared Parameter.

b.) Set the Filter to your Shared Parameter with the condition "parameter exists".

c.) Sort by System Classification and disable "Itemize every instance".

7. In the Schedule View, you'll be left with one for for each System Classification and a blank cell for the Shared Parameter field. In that cell, type the appropriate System Classification and that Value will be pushed to all of the nested Instances of your Duct Accessory. This step will require periodically coming back to the schedule and entering the values again to apply it to new instances.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 6
mark.silcock
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks I will give that a go.

So basically nested families are isolated from most of the information the actual family is aware of? If that makes sense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report