Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol in Electrical Family

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
tbrown6608
953 Views, 2 Replies

Symbol in Electrical Family

I have created a hosted electrical fixture family with an annotation symbol to represent it. When placed on a wall the symbol shows up but will rotate depending on the orientation of the host. I did come up with a work around for this (which I've attached) but if there were some way I could force the symbol to retain a permanent orientation, it would be much better. Anyone have any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tbrown6608

Revit is not capable of determining which way is "down" on a View and then rotating the text accordingly. What you've done is a valid work-around, in fact the first method I used as well.

However, due to how poorly Revit deals with Text, I recreated the text within the annotations using lines instead. And instead of inserting four instances of the annotation family and using visibility controls, I use rotational constraints to control the orientation. See attached example. (a J-Box in Revit 2012 format)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
tbrown6608
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for the reply. I had never used that rotational constraint before, it works nicely. I ended up creating a family using the angular parameter but without the formula, but I'll only be using it for special case projects where the walls are at odd angles. That was the main issue I had with the work around, at non-horizontal/vertical walls the text would always be at some angle. Now I can at least quickly set the angle and be done with it. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report