Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting a multidicipline coordination model... From A to Z

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
CBeckemeyer
328 Views, 2 Replies

Starting a multidicipline coordination model... From A to Z

Our company is falling into the age of MEP and I am the one that needs to bring us there. I have experience in Revit but only on the creation side. I have never had to actually link a model to incorporate my design before. What I want to accomplish is: Take the bloated Arch model I recieved from the Architect complete with worksets for several diciplines, blow it all away leaving just the building, floor plans, associated levels and title page. I want to be able to just open this file and bring up (example) 1st floor plan - 12th floor plan and start designing my HVAC and Plumbing. AThese are the steps I have taken but cannot achieve this goal of mine...

1. Open the Architectural model from the received folder. Ensure that the Worksharing ‘Detach from Central’ is CHECKED.
  2. Print all the Architectural Sheets for later use.
  3. From the Manage tab, click the Manage Links tool. Click through the tabs and delete any entries. Click OK
  4. Still in the Manage tab, click the Purge Unused tool. Click OK.
  5. From the Revit ‘R’, click SaveAs > Project. Navigate to the 01_CADD\BIM\Models folder. The naming convention we use is: ProjNo_v12_ArchName_Mech. the v12 shows that the project is in Revit MEP version12. Replace the existing model if prompted to do so.
  6. Close the Architectural model.

New Project Creation – Cleanup/Creation

This is (in my opinion), the most tedious part of this whole process. We are going to drill through the linked Architectural model and get rid of things that we, as MEP don’t care to see; things such as their notes, symbols, legend, sections, etc. we the are setting up views to match the Architectural plans (remember, entire project consistency is the key here).

1. We have to have at least one Architectural floor plan, so don’t get too delete-happy. 😉
  2. Delete all sections, elevations, schedules, notes, legends.
  3. Delete all but ONE sheet. We will need the title block for later steps.
  4. Open the Architectural Level 1 Floor Plan.
  5. Right-click on the name in the Project Browser and apply the view template. In this case, It will become a Level 1 Mechanical Plan (HVAC, Mechanical Piping). Compare the scale to that of the Architectural and adjust accordingly.
  6. Enable the Show Crop Region and adjust the region so that it is similar to the architectural plans (the ones that we printed out earlier).
  7. Hide the crop region.

Repeat steps 4 – 7 for all other plans that you anticipate you will need (such as Demolition, Plumbing, Fire Protection, etc.). Set the view template accordingly too.

PLEASE HELP. Im at whits end on this.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
CoreyDaun
in reply to: CBeckemeyer

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

I really don't recommend taking the Arch model and making it your own. That's going to be a severe pain (as I'm certain you know) to reestablish your MEP project standards. I would highly recommend linking the Arch model into a new Project. Use the Copy/Monitor tools to associate the Level in your MEP model to the Level in the Arch model. It might be a bit of a pain to have to recreate the Architect's Views from scratch, but once you are done with this Project, you can create a Project Template that you can use to start future Project, which will give you a good starting point. You can also use Transfer Project Standards to import the Project Information from the linked Arch model to your MEP model.

This is a very brief answer, so don't hesitate to ask if you need more info on specifics.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 3
CBeckemeyer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I was hessitant in working in the Arch model as well. I just created a local file and worked in that instead. That seemed to do the trick. Takes a little longer to set everything up but it flows better in the long run. Thanks for the input. Very helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report