Revit MEP

Contributor
Message 1 of 5 (1,652 Views)
Accepted Solution

Snap and lock extrusion to reference line

1652 Views, 4 Replies
04-02-2012 03:26 PM

I am trying to create a Revit family for an air terminal designed to fit 360 degrees around a column enclosure. It will actually be 2 separate pieces placed back to back with each other around the enclosure. The air terminal requires 4 round duct connections on each half. I created the original air terminal with minimal difficulty but now the problem I am having is some column enclosures are larger than others. Now I am modifying the family so that I can specify the column size, overall size, height, etc. but also the duct connections need to stay centered. I've gotten a reference line arc that remains in the center of the air terminal as the size changes along with 4 other reference lines that go from the column side to the face (after spending a few hours of banging my head on the table trying to get all the parameters and formulas to work). What would solve everything at this point is if there were some way I could lock the round extrusions for each duct connection at the center of the circle to the intersection of the arc and the 4 lines. Or even forget about the arc and lock to the midpoint of the 4 lines. Does anyone know any way I can do this or any other ideas?

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 5 (1,637 Views)

Re: Snap and lock extrusion to reference line

04-03-2012 06:24 AM in reply to: tbrown6608

I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but could you post an image or even the family file so we can assess the situation?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Contributor
Message 3 of 5 (1,632 Views)

04-03-2012 06:45 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

I've attached the .rfa file for this. I removed the connector elements but you will see the 4 round extrusions I am using for the connection points.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 4 of 5 (1,628 Views)

04-03-2012 07:08 AM in reply to: tbrown6608

The method I would probably use is to place a Reference Line across the diameter of the round extrusion, Group them, and copy the Group to the other locations. Create Reference Planes for the core angles, rotate the round extrusions to be perpendicular to these planes, and then place constraints. Refer to image below. Ask if you need more info...

ArcDiffuser.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Contributor
Message 5 of 5 (1,625 Views)

04-03-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Excellent! That works. Thank you very much.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube