Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap and lock extrusion to reference line

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
tbrown6608
9284 Views, 4 Replies

Snap and lock extrusion to reference line

I am trying to create a Revit family for an air terminal designed to fit 360 degrees around a column enclosure. It will actually be 2 separate pieces placed back to back with each other around the enclosure. The air terminal requires 4 round duct connections on each half. I created the original air terminal with minimal difficulty but now the problem I am having is some column enclosures are larger than others. Now I am modifying the family so that I can specify the column size, overall size, height, etc. but also the duct connections need to stay centered. I've gotten a reference line arc that remains in the center of the air terminal as the size changes along with 4 other reference lines that go from the column side to the face (after spending a few hours of banging my head on the table trying to get all the parameters and formulas to work). What would solve everything at this point is if there were some way I could lock the round extrusions for each duct connection at the center of the circle to the intersection of the arc and the 4 lines. Or even forget about the arc and lock to the midpoint of the 4 lines. Does anyone know any way I can do this or any other ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tbrown6608

I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but could you post an image or even the family file so we can assess the situation?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
tbrown6608
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I've attached the .rfa file for this. I removed the connector elements but you will see the 4 round extrusions I am using for the connection points.

Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tbrown6608

The method I would probably use is to place a Reference Line across the diameter of the round extrusion, Group them, and copy the Group to the other locations. Create Reference Planes for the core angles, rotate the round extrusions to be perpendicular to these planes, and then place constraints. Refer to image below. Ask if you need more info...

ArcDiffuser.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
tbrown6608
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Excellent! That works. Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report