Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site Plans

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
cwade
566 Views, 10 Replies

Site Plans

Considering there is no option to create a site plan view in Revit MEP, I was wondering how everyone is handling their Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing site plans? Right now it appears that we will have to do our site plans in AutoCAD, which I wanted to avoid, I wanted to do everything inside of Revit.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tmclachlan
in reply to: cwade

It is a little tricky but you should be able to get a site plan as long as the Architect made one. I had to put it under the View Discipline Architectural/Power/Floor Plans/Site Plan. Good Luck
Message 3 of 11
chriswade

Doesn't really work, doesn't end up showing the entire site plan, oh well, guess the site plans have to be done in AutoCAD, well at least this client is willing to accept that, future ones may not be willing though, so this is something that needs to be addressed ASAP, remember building departments require Electrical and Plumbing to submit site plans.
Message 4 of 11
tmclachlan

Well it worked for me, i would check your crop boxes maybe they need to be adjusted. Or maybe you just have things turned off.
Message 5 of 11
chriswade

No, I checked all of that, I think part of the problem is parts of the site plan come from nested xrefs inside AutoCAD files, Revit can handle xrefs 1-2 layers deep, but beyond that it doesn't appear to know what to do.
Message 6 of 11
tmclachlan

Hmmm I'm lost, so are you saying that the arch drawings were not done in Revit or at least part of it wasn't?
Message 7 of 11
chriswade

Well, the Architect cannot do their site plans in revit as it doesn't properly interact with Civil, it puts certain things on the same layers that should not be. So the site plans are done in AutoCAD and imported into Revit, which seems to work with Revit Architecture, but doesn't work with Revit MEP.
Message 8 of 11
RedMan77

If I may ask how specifically does it not work in Revit MEP? We should be able to take a civil drawing done in AutoCAD and import it into Revit MEP for our purposes (the same way an Architect would do). Maybe I am not understanding. Could you elaborate?
Message 9 of 11
chriswade

Well, Civil plans usually has about 10 xrefs that are nested, Revit Architecture seems to have no problems with this; however, Revit MEP will only pull in the top level xref and one of the ones that is nested right below it (other nested xrefs at that level and all nested xrefs at lower levels will not pull in for some reason).
Message 10 of 11
RedMan77

I am aware that Revit has issues with Xref but typically I have found this can be solved with binding xrefs. Have you found your own temporary workarouds to get by? For me, the number of work-arounds I am being told I must perform to make things work is extremely frustrating. I feel as if I bought a car with no seats. Sure I can still drive but it makes me wonder if it right to do so.
Message 11 of 11
chriswade

Binding xrefs is not a possibility in our situation as our company is also doing the Civil, we have to reference those live files to maintain coordination between disciplines (we do Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Civil and Structural, although we are not doing the structural for this project).

So it looks like I amy have to stick with AutoCAD for the site Plans, which is not what I want to do. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report