Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Schedules??

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
revitworkbench
354 Views, 7 Replies

Schedules??

Does anyone know how to make the schedules depict families with nested families? Ive made a family with several parts attached to it, an each piece needs to be scheduled. however when i go to make a schedule, nothing is scheduled at all. I am pretty sure that I have every piece checked as a shared parameter but thats it. please help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

You have to set the embedded families as 'Shared' to make them available for scheduling. This setting can be found within the nested family under Family Categories and Parameters.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€
āž|āž Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 8
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yeah thats what I did, but I still get nothing scheduled..?

Message 4 of 8
CoreyDaun

When a Family with a nested Shared Family is loaded into a project, the Shared Family is also loaded into the project separately. Scan through your Project Browser and make sure that the Shared Family is there. Also, the Shared Family will only be scheduled if it is placed and used in the project. If the nested family is not marked as "visible" in the host family, it will not be scheduled. If these conditions are correct, then the problem most likely lies with the schedule.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€ā”€
āž|āž Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 8
revitworkbench

ok, that helped a little bit... I can see all of the families that are nested in my project browser. However, the schedules that existed before the family with nested families did not auto populate in the preexisting schedule. Is this normal? I did get them to populate in a newly created schedule tho. However, each instance of the valves are registering with their own mark and type mark. This is messing up the "count" column because everything is regestering as independent and not regestering together so that if i have 4 valves, its not regestering 4 under the count column, its registering 4 instances of the same family with a count of 1 in each. How do I correct this problem? because this is a big problem for the cost estimator..

Message 6 of 8
CoreyDaun

If you need them to show in groups like that then I would open the Shared Family are create a new Instance Shared Parameter which will be used to designate a group of them. Then, in the Host Family, you can create a new Instance Parameter and link it to this Shared Parameter. Then, in the Project, you can go to each family that contains one or more instances of the Shared Family and input a value so that it applies to all subsequent families, thus allowing you to sort your schedule by this data.

Message 7 of 8
revitworkbench

That sounds good to me, but can you elaborate please? I am weakest at adding my own parameters. I have almost no experience in it and I never get the results that I want/expect. Thank you, in anticipation..

Message 8 of 8
CoreyDaun

1. Create the Shared Parameter

Go to Manage tab Ā» Shared Parameters. If you have not created Shared Parameter before, you will have to designate a .txt file location. Create a new parameters group (if desired or if none exist) and then create a new parameter.

Name: Self-Explanatory. Name it something that makes sense.

Discipline: Common

Type: Determine how you want to sort the parameters. By Text or Number? Choose Text, Number, or Integer.

2. Add Shared Parameter to Shared Family

From the Project, in the Project Browser, locate the Shared Family, right-click and select "Edit". Click "Family Types", and then click "Add..." on the right side of the dialog box. Select "Shared Parameter", click "Select...", and select your Shared Parameter. Click "OK". Make sure the Parameter is an Instance Parameter and you can set it to any Group you want. This has no bearing on it's function. Click "OK" to close the dialog box and then click "Load into Project" and overwrite the Family in the project.

3. Add Shared Parameter to Host Family

Follow the exact same steps as step 2 with the host family. But before reloading it into the Project, select the embedded family and go to Properties. Find the Shared Parameter and click the blank gray box on the right side of it. Select the Shared Parameter from the list and click "OK" to establish the link. Now reload into the project and overwrite.

4. Parameter Value and Schedule

Go to each instance of the Host Family and input the desired data for the Shared Parameter. This data will transfer to all instances of the Shared Family embedded within it. Create the Schedule and sort by this Shared Parameter.

Just ask if you need any more info!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report