Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling a detail item

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
CarrieHoffman02
6130 Views, 5 Replies

Scaling a detail item

I have a detail item which is a autocad import. The import symbol has a type scale on it that I have linked to a instance parameter. It works perfectly in the family but when I insert into my model it doesn't scale at all. My ultimate goal is for the scale to equal how wide the symbol is. For example: I want it 4' wide the scale would be 48. Can someone please help me? If there is a better way to achieve what I am wanting please feel free to enlighten me. 

Carrie

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

The attached pdf covers creating a light fixture with a 2D detail symbol that also scales. At the bottom of page 5 is where the 2D symbol directions start. This is based on Revit MEP 2010 and we are using 2013, so I struggled a bit with some cosmetic program changes, but I did get it to work in the model. Good luck.

Diane M
Message 3 of 6

They suggest making the symbol a generic annotation which I actually thought of doing but I don't need to scale the symbol with the scale of the drawing, I need to scale it for the different sizes of the pipe (mostly in details). 

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: CarrieHoffman02

If the shape were modified to be a little more regular, then it should be pretty easy to created such a symbol with arcs, references, and constraints.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
CarrieHoffman02
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Wow, I'm suprised you don't have a fix for this. I guess I will just continue to use the AutoCAD import. I can scale it and it works for what I need. 

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: CarrieHoffman02

Well, I did look into the disobedient import, but I don't know why it doesn't obey the scale, nor did I find a work-around to suffice. I can at least confirm this in 2013 as well, and it doesn't matter if it's linked to a Type or an Instance parameter.

I still believe it would be better to create the detail component rather than use the import. Attached is a quick example based on your annotation symbol (Revit MEP 2012). Some of the advantages of avoiding the import symbol:

1. The file size will be smaller. Compare the size of the file in message #1 to the one attached here.

2. You can control the lineweights and other graphics a bit easier.

3. The import seems to be made of line segments, whereas in Revit, they can be smooth arcs.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, here.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report