Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating many modeled elements at once

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
clippincott-CL
1487 Views, 2 Replies

Rotating many modeled elements at once

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a few searches and wasn't able to find any posts that specifically address this.

So, on a year old project the Architect has sent us a model that has been rotated 90 degrees from the original orientation.  Not being too familiar with "Project North" or "True North", I initially just tried selecting everything, clicking "Disjoin" and rotating it 90 degrees.  Of course Revit told me there was a bunch of stuff it wouldn't rotate.

For the last few hours I've brushed up on "Project Base Point", "Survey Point", "Project North" and "True North" but it still seems to come down to the fact that there are some elements in my model that I'll need to rotate and Revit won't allow me to rotate them all as a group (all modeled elements, not text or symbols).  I was able to get a lot of elements in my model to rotate by rotating "Project North" 90 degrees but that left some elements behind that were by necessity not hosted to the linked model (mainly things like light fixtures and smoke detectors that I hadn't rotated to host them to a sloped ceiling because then their symbols wouldn't appear in a plan view).  There are enough of these to motivate me to try to find a different solution than rotating them individually and re-inserting them in the background model.

Is there an easier way to do this?  Am I missing something concerning "Project North" and "True North" that would be of help here?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
abulla
in reply to: clippincott-CL

You could try creating a Group out of them, just select everything you want to rotate, then use Create Group in the Modify menu. I'm not sure if this will work - we just had an architect rotate the building by 1 degree Smiley Frustrated and this is the method I used. Some of my sidewall diffusers didn't cooperate, but I just deleted and recreated them.

Message 3 of 3

I figured out a workable solution finally.  What I did was first to change the "Orientation" setting for all of the plan views in the Architects model from "Project North" to "True North".  This rotated them all back to the original orientation their model has been in for most of the project duration, until recently.

Then when I opened our host model file the background came in lined up with all of the elements in our model, at the original building orientation.  Then I did something someone suggested in this forum in a different post, I turned on the crop lines in each view and rotated them all 90 degrees.  Now the building is in the new orientation and all of the elements rotated with the view.  Now I just need to rotate some text and sheet note symbols, things like that.

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report