Revit MEP

mike
Message 11 of 19 (613 Views)

Re: Revit UK Electrical Content - Trunking

07-09-2013 03:09 AM in reply to: alan.skipper

On a test project I created custom trunking bend / connection families to work with the standard cable trays, so the drawing would look reasonable.  Still need to go back sometime and finish then off and fix some errors.  Let me know if you want these but please bear in mind that they are not finished properly and may not work well.

Cable trays cannot be placed horizontally against walls, or opening down on u/s of slabs.  Revit is really quite poor in it's ability to do electrical work and not that much better in mechanical use.  Revit MEP is generally not fit for purpose but we are being forced to use it for some of our projects, at considerable cost to us.

Currently I am trying to setup our company standards to be able to create electrical drawings in Revit.  The UK content does not exist so it is all being created for our internal use.  This is a slow process and many bodges needed to get anything to be reasonable on a drawing.

We still do all our electrical drawings in AutoCAD and would prefer to keep it that way.

Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 12 of 19 (595 Views)

07-11-2013 01:23 AM in reply to: mike

Mike

Thanks for the offer but I haven't made the jump to Revit MEP yet and probably won't do until they get the E in MEP.

I'm afraid that if I do make the jump I won't have anything to land on.

It's been a while since I spoke to my "reseller", maybe a year ago, and he said at the time that Revit MEP was considerably lacking in the electrical discipline, it looks like things haven't change much.

I don't understand why they don't contact a UK electrical containment manufacturer and get this sorted out.

Skipper

Valued Contributor
brian.breslin
Message 13 of 19 (414 Views)

01-07-2014 05:49 AM in reply to: andymp2000

Same problem here, we really need a trunking family, and a basket family.

Also the conduit families the bends are way over the top.

Colesie1978
Message 14 of 19 (339 Views)

02-22-2014 01:57 AM in reply to: mike
Just thought I would chip in. I've just been on a Revit MEP 2014 course and can confirm that nothing has changed! Revit still can't do trunking along with the following: dado trunking, lighting switch lines, legends are not self populating or alternatively schedules can't add symbols or product images and it cannot produce schematics. I may be wrong but these were what the tutor advised. I had my reservations prior to using the software and as far as I can see, I wasn't wrong. AutoDesk have clearly forgot the "E"!! Does anyone from Autodesk think to speak to the UK electrical designers???
Distinguished Contributor
alan.skipper
Message 15 of 19 (333 Views)

02-22-2014 02:38 AM in reply to: Colesie1978

AutoDesk have NEVER spoken with UK electrical engineers, which I find absosutely mind boggling since they have a main office in Farnham.

There is and looks like there will never be any E in MEP?????????

Over to you AutoDesk.

Alan

TRISKELION15
Message 16 of 19 (272 Views)

03-18-2014 05:22 AM in reply to: andymp2000

It seems that everybody here in forum questioned the credibility of Revit MEP, me personally had also problem regarding this cable trunking

Do you think there is no other way that tha manufacturer resolve this issues.

Active Contributor
andymp2000
Message 17 of 19 (231 Views)

03-31-2014 03:29 PM in reply to: andymp2000
Well it's nearly time for Revit 2015, maybe - just maybe......
brian.breslin
Message 18 of 19 (213 Views)

04-01-2014 08:26 AM in reply to: andymp2000
Don't think actual trunking family has been added in 2015.

Could really do with Dado trunking as well and ceiling void trunking.
B.E.BRESLIN
Valued Contributor
lsop1409
Message 19 of 19 (197 Views)

04-02-2014 08:05 AM in reply to: brian.breslin

Yes some dado trunking would be good in addition to standard trunking, frustrating.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube