Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP Tutorials

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jimcucci
987 Views, 14 Replies

Revit MEP Tutorials

I downloaded and followed the instructions to extract to the desktop and then copy to c:\program files\autodesk revit mep 2010 and cannot get the tutorials to run properly. I'm using Vista. Do I have the files in the proper location? I did close the help dialog box when 'installing' but the help pulldown does not update. It continues to instruct that I download the files from the website. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: jimcucci

On some systems when the file is extracted a
security flag is tripped preventing the tutorials from displaying when accessed
from within Revit.  Check the properties of the unzipped CHM files and
clear the security flag.  This should allow the tutorials to run. 
Official solution from Autodesk.com.

--
Jeff Hanson
SME (Subject Matter Expert)
Autodesk - BIM
UX
Manchester, NH

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
downloaded and followed the instructions to extract to the desktop and then
copy to c:\program files\autodesk revit mep 2010 and cannot get the tutorials
to run properly. I'm using Vista. Do I have the files in the proper location?
I did close the help dialog box when 'installing' but the help pulldown does
not update. It continues to instruct that I download the files from the
website. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Message 3 of 15
jimcucci

I did what you suggested and the only thing that happened was that the arch link file now shows up on the project screen. Pulling down help and then clicking on tutorials has the same result as always; instructions to download from the web site! I unblocked the unzipped files and then extracted to the desktop. I then copied them to C:\program files\autodesk revit mep 2010\program. There is now a new directory under that named TRAINING. What am I doing wrong?
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

I would try deleting the CHM files from the target
path and then try extracting the new CHM files to your desktop and then move
them into the correct location.  thsi way you can be sure you are getting a
replacement file.

--
Jeff Hanson
Autodesk - BIM
UX
Manchester, NH

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
did what you suggested and the only thing that happened was that the arch link
file now shows up on the project screen. Pulling down help and then clicking
on tutorials has the same result as always; instructions to download from the
web site! I unblocked the unzipped files and then extracted to the desktop. I
then copied them to C:\program files\autodesk revit mep 2010\program. There is
now a new directory under that named TRAINING. What am I doing
wrong?
Message 5 of 15
jimcucci

That did it. Thanks for the help and patience!
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Glad to help.

--
Jeff Hanson
Autodesk - BIM
UX
Manchester, NH

That
did it. Thanks for the help and patience!
Message 7 of 15
jimcucci

I guess this is going to be a one step at a time process. The help files show up fine. Following the tutorial, I opened up the file and got an error message (150 errors?!?) indicating that several objects were occupying the same space. Opening the files produces the next error which is an inability to link the architectural file. Manually linking it works but if you follow the tutorial to 'room bound' the element, it returns yet another error which must be corrected before going any further. Any ideas?
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I am out of ideas now.  I worked on the Revit
Architecture tutorials.  I will let someone know who worked on the MEP
tutorials.  Maybe they can help resolve.

--
Jeff Hanson
Autodesk - BIM
UX
Manchester, NH

I
guess this is going to be a one step at a time process. The help files show up
fine. Following the tutorial, I opened up the file and got an error message
(150 errors?!?) indicating that several objects were occupying the same space.
Opening the files produces the next error which is an inability to link the
architectural file. Manually linking it works but if you follow the tutorial
to 'room bound' the element, it returns yet another error which must be
corrected before going any further. Any ideas?
Message 9 of 15
karen_smith

Hi Jim,

Can you tell me the name of the file you opened and the number of the step in the exercise you were on to 'room bound' the element when you got the error? I thought it might be step 4 in the first exercise for Placing Spaces, but I'm not getting the same error.

Thanks,
Karen Smith

Tech Writer
Autodesk
Manchester, NH
Message 10 of 15
jimcucci

The error was immediately upon opening the tutorial file for the 'space is not in a properly enclosed region'.

RME_Mech_Air Systems_01_r.rvt is the file name.

I see 'pinned' files when I 'invoke' Revit MEP. One of them is the Architectural link the program can't seem to find.

The next error is ... 'THIS FILE IS ALREADY OPEN FOR EDITING BY ANOTHER USER. YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO SAVE ANY CHANGES BEFORE THAT USER CLOSES THE FILE'.

Next is a distinct error sound and the message; 'REVIT COULD NOT FIND OR READ 1 OF THE REFERENCED FILES. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO?' I selected the option to ignore that and continue opening.

I then 'manually' linked that file through ;insert; link file, searched for the file, found it and it came in.

Now ... to the tutorial. Step 4, as you surmised, was where it failed.

I hope this helps and that you can give me some idea of how to get beyond this ...
Message 11 of 15
karen_smith

Okay, I do see the error when I open the file, RME_Mech_Air_Systems_01_i.rvt, about the spaces. I also had to re-link the arch model after opening the file. But, I didn't see the error about "This file is already open for editing..." or the one about "Revit could not find or read 1 of the referenced files..." Perhaps there's some slight differences with opening files if you're using Windows Vista vs. Windows XP (which is what I'm using).

Regarding the last error... Step 4 in the "Placing Hosted Air Terminals" exercise says to: "Click in the schedule view to make it active, and scroll to space 223." Is this the one that you're getting the error about "room bounding the element?" You might want to double-check to be sure that you have the correct file open that goes with this exericise you're working on. Step 4 in the "Placing Spaces" exercise deals with selecting room bounding for spaces, and I'm wondering if you opened another file by mistake.

Karen Smith

Technical Writer
Autodesk
Manchester, NH
Message 12 of 15
jimcucci

Okay. What I did was 'force' the program to see the Architectural link file by selecting (not intuitive but when I deliberately loaded it, it became evident) it and reloading 'from'. Now I'm past the problem I had with 'room bounding'. Whew. I DO, however, have another question about the training files themselves. In the tutorial I see under training the file folders; IMPERIAL, METRIC and ... COMMON. I am only working with IMPERIAL and didn't download the metric files. I only HAVE imperial ... not COMMON. Where did that COMMON directory come from and what is in it? Could you check yours? Maybe that's causing some of the 'burps' in my experience with the tutorials? By the way, thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it.
Message 13 of 15
karen_smith

My pleasure - glad to help!

Regarding the "Common" folder, I believe that's a leftover from an earlier version of Revit. For the RME 2010 tutorials, we didn't use a Common folder, so you shouldn't need to use any files that might be in there. Also, if you only downloaded the Imperial tutorial files, I'm not sure why you have a Metric folder also. Again, maybe that's a leftover folder from an earlier version of Revit that was on your machine.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Karen Smith

Technical Writer
Autodesk
Manchester, NH
Message 14 of 15
MarkRummings1764

This is a response to the problems people are experiencign with the Revit 2010 Tutorial file 'TutorialsArchitectureMetENU.chm' opening but with no content or blank pages. As someone that has had problems with the CHM file myself I thought I would record how I fixed this. I am using Windows XP.

History
I followed the readme.txt and the tutorial (chm) file failed to open wherever I tried opening it from: desktop, c:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program or from wihtin Revit.

The Fix
I fixed this by:
- Opening the ZIP file: rac_tutorial_documents_m.zip
- Right clicking on the CHM file and selecting 'Copy'
- Opening the 'c:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Program' folder
- Moving the existing 'TutorialsArchitectureMetENU.chm' (586KB) into a folder to back it up
- Paste the new file 'TutorialsArchitectureMetENU.chm' (7,930KB) into the same folder

My impression is that soemthing happens in the extraction process that corrupts the chm file. The PDF seems ok however.

I hope this helps someone.
Message 15 of 15
dp6vd

Karen,
I am getting the same error warning on all the training files. However, I do not get the 'THIS FILE IS ALREADY OPEN FOR EDITING BY ANOTHER USER. YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO SAVE ANY CHANGES BEFORE THAT USER CLOSES THE FILE' or the one below it.
Please help and thanks in advance.
Sincerely
Dario

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report