Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP Manufacturer Content Creation

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tbilbe
1066 Views, 3 Replies

Revit MEP Manufacturer Content Creation

Hi,

I am starting out building a new revit library of products for our company; our company manufacturers Ductwork for the Nuclear industry, we are interested in making our own library to be involed in the design process as early as possible.

The question I a want to pose is; should we be attacking this problem from creating our own library? or should we just look to utilise what revit system families already have? 

Currently I cannot find any of our competitors looking to go this route and I know from consultants there is a demand for our product to be available to them early in the design process.

If we were to go create our own parametric famlies, to implement pricing, and scheduling as well as our own standards of manufacture within the design codes, how would I go about editing the system families in Revit?

Are there any tutorials out there I can utilise?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tbilbe

Hello, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

While one can create custom Families for Duct Fittings and Duct Accessories, one cannot create custom Families for Ducts; System Families are not editable outside of the Project environment. I believe the best you would be able to do (regarding the Ducts) is to set up your Duct Types and Sizes in a Revit Project and instruct the user to use Transfer Project Standards to import those Duct Types into their Projects. Duct Insulation and Lining are applied and managed within the Project on a case-by-case basis, so one could not have a Duct Type that automatically had Insulation (if it matters to you).

If you need to create custom Parameters for your Ducts (for Scheduling/Tagging), then Project Parameters would need to be utilized, which is also exclusive to the Project Environment. There are companies who supply Add-Ins (created with Revit API) that are capable of managing these Project Parameters as needed, but the process is never perfect. Developing the Add-In would be a significant investment, as well.

Regarding tutorials, search YouTube. Also, check out what other manufacturer are doing and maybe look at some of the Families on Autodesk Seek to get some ideas.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 4
tbilbe
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for your reply! I was going in circles about that for a while! 

So if I cannot edit the Duct itself, can I specify custom fittings like Bends, Dampers, Boots Tees, Cowls etc.?

If so is it just a case of inutting them into the Routing preferences? (Which I am currently trying to do !!!) 

And then to add to a project template to be loaded with our standards for every new project?

As for the Duct, we specify Stardard 3m lengths that are manufactured and sold as such, is there a setting wereby I can restrict any length other than the 3m, or if I modelled a design I can scedule and quantify, and therefore count how any standard lengths I would require?

The final product would hopefully be a service where designers can specify our product and stop us having to re-draw, and draw cutting lists; do you think that is feasible?

Message 4 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tbilbe

tbilbe wrote:

"Thanks for your reply! I was going in circles about that for a while! 

So if I cannot edit the Duct itself, can I specify custom fittings like Bends, Dampers, Boots Tees, Cowls etc.?

If so is it just a case of inutting them into the Routing preferences? (Which I am currently trying to do !!!) 

And then to add to a project template to be loaded with our standards for every new project?"

The Duct Fittings and such as fully customizable. Check out the default Revit Duct Fitting Families - they utilize Lookup Tables to manage the dimensions. Once created properly, the Families can be loaded into your Template and assigned to the appropriate Duct Type's Routing Preferences (located in the Duct's Type Properties). Starting a Project using this template ensures that all of your fittings will be initially established in new Projects.

tbilbe wrote:

"As for the Duct, we specify Stardard 3m lengths that are manufactured and sold as such, is there a setting wereby I can restrict any length other than the 3m, or if I modelled a design I can scedule and quantify, and therefore count how any standard lengths I would require?"

I don't believe that there is any way to restrict the lengths of Duct that a user creates, but they can be accounted for and calculated by use of Revit's Scheduling. One could create a Duct Schedule and use a Calculated Value to determine the total number of pre-measured segments that are needed; all automatically. See image below for an example (3' segments).

DuctSchedule.JPG

tbilbe wrote:

"The final product would hopefully be a service where designers can specify our product and stop us having to re-draw, and draw cutting lists; do you think that is feasible?"

Possibly, with enough preparation and instruction to the designers.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report