Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP Linked Files

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
danehchristensen
983 Views, 4 Replies

Revit MEP Linked Files

I have 2 linked files in a MEP model. I dont like how they link in transparent. Is there a way to control the visibility of linked files better? My main concern is clashing with steel and connecting my Fire Sprinkler heads to the ceilings. When the linked files are transparent, this is difficult to do. Even if I opened the Architectual file in revit MEP, and then worked off of that, my Strucutral file would still need to be linked in (or vice versa). Does anyone have any advice for this?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You can't compare Revit Arch and Revit MEP. They are two different entities and function differently and MEP has more calculation and analysis tools than Arch.

The transparency is a basic in-built setting based on the view discipline. If you want solid looking ceilgins and wall the you change to ARCH/STR/COORD disciplines but by doing so you will struggle to see the services in the building as they will be obscured.

For the sprinklers to locate on the ceiling then the families need to be constructed as face based families. To avoid steel work, etc, you should be able to achieve this by using a combination of plans, sections and 3D views whilst modelling and using different visiblilty settings in the views. The settings would control the elements native to the MEP model and also the links. i.e you could turn off all categories in the linked STR model except the beams/columns/framing so that you can easily see clashes.

Also run the interference check tool every now and then to help identify any clashes you may have missed when modelling.

It sounds like you are modelling in 3D views - if so then you will have difficulty in getting your pipes, etc. in the right place and avoiding the building elements.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
dennis
in reply to: danehchristensen

Are you saying 'transparent' for the greyscaling of the arch model when the view is under Mechanical or Electrical in the Project Browser?  If so, try changing the properities of the view to discipline = Coordination and see if that helps.

If you are saying 'transparent' as a view setting, then that is done in the Visibility Graphics.

Message 4 of 5

Thanks, this is all very helpful... as you can tell, its my first time in MEP

Message 5 of 5

Reviving this old thread.

I'm having the same issue I think.

I've linked a Structural Revit file and an AutoCAD 3D model into another Structural Revit file.

Both linked files show up as transparent. I don't like it, but I also want to show a shaded view showing the whole thing. The transparency makes things confusing.

I've changed by Discipline of the view to Coordination but it didn't do anything.

The linked Revit model and AutoCAD models are not transparent themselves nor are their properties that I can tell.

Any ideas how to get this view to all look solidly shaded and to get rid of the analytical lines while we're at it?

transparencyRevit.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report