Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP API help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
318 Views, 4 Replies

Revit MEP API help

Hello, i am trying to use the RevitAPI.dll in VS.Net 2008. It allows me to reference the dll and use functions from the dll, but when i try to run a debug test it tells me that it cannot find the specified referenced file.

I have gone through the walkthrough on creating an external command, but that does not help in what i am needing to do.

I need for my application to use Revit functions to create a Revit document for users to use in Revit (and maybe open Revit for them).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: Anonymous

The RevitAPI.dll .NET assembly is dependent on the Revit.exe process... i.e., you can only run an app built on the Revit API from within Revit. It is NOT like ActiveX / COM / Automation in that you can't use the API to fire up a Revit.exe process. Commands built on the Revit API are either called from within Revit as 'External Commands' or are accessed as 'External Applications'... both of which can only run within Revit.

HTH,
Martin Schmid, PE

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Is there anything that Autodesk can supply that will enable me to accomplish what I need? Is there an ActiveX/COM/.Net engine that a developer can use to control functions from within Revit MEP like you can in AutoCAD?

Thanks,
Chris
Message 4 of 5
Martin__Schmid

Generally, 3rd party software developers and developers within Arch/Eng firms have found that the API provides the functionality required to interact, edit, query, etc, the model, and to control certain functions, such as printing, etc.

Can you be a little more specific about what it is you need to accomplish? And, perhaps, provide some insight as to why running within the context of the Revit process is in conflict with those goals?

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

We have an application (currently in VB6) that allows our customers to select our products based on required parameters the customer needs. This application will need to take the selected product specs and provide the customer with a Revit drawing allowing them to place the product in their project to visually see results. To recreate the application in Revit VSTA would take more time and effort than we are willing to spend.
Currently we are able to create an AutoCAD drawing for the customer, but that is being phased out by many of the engineers that use our application and they would like to have Revit drawings.
Essentially we would like to create a file that the customer can import into their project.

Thanks,
Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report