Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP 2012 Families issue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
kadmonkee8
627 Views, 6 Replies

Revit MEP 2012 Families issue

Good morning,

I am attempting to create company Standards in RME 2012 where the Valves we use in Revit and AutoCAD are similar in Geometry.

I have created the Annotative symbols from AutoCAD Dynamic blocks and have attempted to apply them to the family.

My issue is this- when I change the scale in my view the spacing is also changing.

I set up reference plains and assigned the Pipe Connectors to them, set a parameter with a dimension to accommodate changes in the size of the valve etc, each size is recorded with the correct spacing of the connectors but does not correspond with the annotative symbol.

What am I missing? Or is this even possible?

I would like the pipe connections to adjust with the Annotative symbol based on scale (INSTANCE PARAMETER?)

I have attached 2 images to show examples

thank you for any help with this

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: kadmonkee8

Was this Family create based off of a default Revit Family? Can you attach your Family file so we can investigate?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
kadmonkee8
in reply to: CoreyDaun

yes, these were created from the OOB families and modified with our Annotative symbols generated from Autocad imported into Revit.

i have attached a sample family

Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun

I would suggest to not use an embedded Generic Annotation for the symbol - create it with linework directly in the Family like the OOTB Revit Families. This Category of Family by default possesses an Annotative behavior in this respect. Also, since the Symbol is not as wide as the Family, draw a single line from either side to each Connector.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
kadmonkee8

Thank you we have both types used with linework and embedded geometry .

some work fine and others not so much.

i would prefer one method for all valves or any other family with the amout of variables to consider.

is the best practice method to place model lines and set them to be used annotatively for all sizes and scales?

what does the single line between the connectors provide using this method? as infill beyond the masking region?

Message 6 of 7
CoreyDaun

The Pipes will extend to the Connectors at either end of the Family, and that extension line would bridge the gap between the symbolic geometry and the Connectors. Try downloading some valve families from somewhere like Autodesk Seek or from manufacturers and see how those have been created, and how they behave. I have limited experience in creating Pipe Fittings and Accessories (I'm electrical), so I hesitate to advise on the "best" way.

Message 7 of 7
kadmonkee8

thank you for your help and suggestions.

i will keep looking for a solution, (workaround)

i may be overthinking things for some of these families, where they are not acting consistently using the same methods of creation/ modification.

i will check out A-Seek to compare

thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report