Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit MEP 2011 Halftone Resolution

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
SKENGINEERS
13271 Views, 10 Replies

Revit MEP 2011 Halftone Resolution

I have a model linked into my MEP project and have the linked model set to halftone. If I change a plan view to anything higher than "Hidden", i.e. "Shaded", "Shaded with Edges", etc. the halftone linked arch. model prints too light. It's like the halftone print settings are changed if the resolution of the view is set to anything other than "Hidden". Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: SKENGINEERS

Revit will automatically half-tone categories that are not part of the view's discipline. A way around that is to change the view's discipline to Architectural or Coordination. Then you would manually change categories if you want them lighter. We have all of our lighting plans set to Architectural because the ceiling grids were printing too lightly.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
SKENGINEERS
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The problem only arises when the view settings are changed to anything higher than hidden. Everything including the halftone background prints fine with the hidden option selected. Once that's changed, everything halftone that is not part of the views discipline (linked model, inserted CAD file, ect.) prints out at almost half the resolution of what the halftone should be.

Message 4 of 11
CoreyDaun

I tried it in one of our projects. I see what you mean, but the difference doesn't seem drastic. Have you tried printing with the "Replace Halftone with Thin Lines" checkbox in the Print Setup and/or setting the Colors to "Black Lines"? Also, in the Visibility Settings, is the link itself set to Halftone?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 11
SKENGINEERS

I have tried printing using the "Replace Halftone with Thin Lines" but that replaces all the halftone lines in the the other sheets causing them to print too dark. Yes, the Colors to "Black Lines" is set and the link itself has the halftone check box checked. If I uncheck it and then print, it prints the halftone slightly darker than what the halftone should be. That's how I've been getting around it.

Message 6 of 11
CoreyDaun

We realized some time ago that Revit is nowhere near capable of replicating the quality of drawings produced by AutoCAD, but then again, I think it was said that that is not what Revit was designed for. Though it is getting better. We print everything with Black Lines and Replace...blah blah... options. You should be able to make adjustments to lineweights within the object styles as well. I can't immediately think of a good way around this problem save changing the view's discipline, but that is not a first-pick solution.

Message 7 of 11

Isn't the easiest option to just make the links not-halftone for views that you want to print above Hidden line? This could easily be done for multiple views using a view template.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 8 of 11

I think that the problem is that Revit is dictating the halftone links because the objects within it are outside the category of the designated discipline. One of my questions earlier was whether or not the link was halftone under visibility settings.

Message 9 of 11

That's exactly how I'm getting around the issue when it comes to printing sheets with views set higher than hidden.

Message 10 of 11
SKENGINEERS

Yes the link is set to halftone in the visibility graphics.

Message 11 of 11
CoreyDaun

Then the non-discipline objects are printing at quarter-tone, aside from the additional down-toning from this issue. Multiple halftone values multiply rather than override. So if on a mechanical view you mark the link halftone, then walls halftone, then they will ultimately be at eighth-tone. I wish you could override Revit's automatic halftoning of non-view discipline objects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report