Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Families from Manufacturers

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
452 Views, 9 Replies

Revit Families from Manufacturers

I am preparing to contact many of the manufacturers involved with supplying equipment for MEP systems in buildings to encourage them to consider supply engineering and architectural firms with Revit families of all their products. We all know that this would be a substantial help to many A/E firms right now. I believe I am prepared to offer them a very reasonable deal in producing these families. What would be very helpful is a few letters in pdf format from architects and engineers around the nation expressing the great help access to these Revit families would be. I would like to include a few such letters with my company literature. If anyone would be willing to supply me with a document of that type with their firm’s letter head, I believe it could contribute substantially in helping more quickly reduce the stress involved with Revit families.

Matthew Brown
www.revit-lution.com
e-mail: studio@revit-lution.com
phone: (850) 776-3527
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Currently our A/E firm has changed our specifications to use those firms supplying Revit based families as the basis of the specs. Efco is providing this in curtainwalls, Kawneer as well. MEP Mfg will enjoy this same benefits. Currently most content shipping is basically Trane's. Are all of the other MFG's willing to just conceed this market to them?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I take it you would want to sell these parts? If so, then `no' would be
my answer.

Man, you move quick. You just registered the domain and already you got
a proposal out there. Good job my man, sounds like you got a good plan.
Good luck.

Matthew Brown wrote:
> I am preparing to contact many of the manufacturers involved with
> supplying equipment for MEP systems in buildings to encourage them
> to consider supply engineering and architectural firms with Revit
> families of all their products. We all know that this would be a
> substantial help to many A/E firms right now. I believe I am
> prepared to offer them a very reasonable deal in producing these
> families. What would be very helpful is a few letters in pdf format
> from architects and engineers around the nation expressing the great
> help access to these Revit families would be. I would like to
> include a few such letters with my company literature. If anyone
> would be willing to supply me with a document of that type with
> their firm’s letter head, I believe it could contribute
> substantially in helping more quickly reduce the stress involved
> with Revit families.
>
>
> Matthew Brown www.revit-lution.com e-mail: studio@revit-lution.com
> phone: (850) 776-3527
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

so... you're asking for letters of recommendation from strangers who have no expierence with you to help build your business? seriously unprofessional, and that alone would make me leery of working with you in the future.

I agree that mfgs should provide revit families, to a degree, however that's imho up to the mfgs and the specifiers, and their relationship, and w/o an established relationship, with one or the other, comments about the need are moot. convincing clients of the need for your service is moot if you can't convince them that you've got the skills to do it.

as a side note, your website while cleanly written, does not read well due to some custom font issues, and i don't think autodesk hyphenates their name.....

best of luck with your new venture.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I don't think it's all that unprofessional. I mean he has to get
started in some way shape or form. The basic request was for a letter
stating your need and/or desire.

> convincing clients of the need for your service is moot if you can't
> convince them that you've got the skills to do it.

I agree, but I think what pics he has shown displays enough skill so
far. (Looks like hes showing clearances and such, and looks like more
then enough detail.)

Matthew
I think it sounds like good undertaking and I hope it works for ya but
*i* cant sign your `petition'--so to speak--.

metis wrote:
> so... you're asking for letters of recommendation from strangers who
> have no expierence with you to help build your business? seriously
> unprofessional, and that alone would make me leery of working with
> you in the future.
>
> I agree that mfgs should provide revit families, to a degree,
> however that's imho up to the mfgs and the specifiers, and their
> relationship, and w/o an established relationship, with one or the
> other, comments about the need are moot. convincing clients of the
> need for your service is moot if you can't convince them that you've
> got the skills to do it.
>
> as a side note, your website while cleanly written, does not read
> well due to some custom font issues, and i don't think autodesk
> hyphenates their name.....
>
> best of luck with your new venture.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

unprofessional in that it's soliciting marketing media contributions from 4th parties.

if it were from parties he's worked with, or comments from a 3rd party article (or even these forums, with permissions) it'd be shiny.

had it been approached as a question/poll, i.e. do you think that mfgs should be providing revit famlies content to specifiers/designers, and if so what content would you like to see? and then asking permission to reprint comments as a show of interest it'd be great.

asking for comments directly for marketing purposes provides for the appearance of impartiality making the quality of the claims suspect, even if there is not in actuality.

now, i don't think he intended it as such, and applaud him for being forthright about his interest in getting the need established, but the methodolody renders content garnered suspect.

that said, i seem to recall a few discussions about families being provided by mfgs over in the RA forum.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I do not intend to sell these components to architects and engineers, rather I intend to sell them to the manufacturers who I anticipate would distribute them freely from their web sites. At least this is the path I encourage them to take. I understand some skepticism on the part of some and certainly wish to do my best to prove my capability to preform the services I offer.

I spoke with some large MFGs today who expressed interest in taking the steps necessary to make their products available in Revit families.

My purpose in this is not to exploit, but rather to assist engineers and architects who are seeing a great deal of time and money squandered on the production of Revit families.

I believe letters directly from architects and engineers would be very helpful in convincing MFGs of the need.

Thank you for your interest and helpful incite.

Matthew Brown
www.revit-lution.com
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I apologize for my seemingly "unprofessional" approach. I believe what Revit-lution could successfully alleviate some of the inconveniences surrounding Revit families by encouraging manufacturers to supply free models to your firm. You are the people they want to hear from on this issue. So you are the people I came to.

I appreciate your comments on the web-site and also your suggestion regarding the use of a survey.

Matthew Brown
www.revit-lution.com
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you much for the input.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Hey Matthew,

Dont be discouraged, you have to start your ideas off somewhere. Might as well be here. You may make a few funky turns on the way, but then... youll know. You are on the right track. Get the manufacturers to produce REVIT components (for a fee maybe) to distribute them to people that want the libraries. Its done with AutoCAD blocks and other softwareproducts. you dont need A/E letters... bake the cake and they will come eat it.

Heres some ideas for you. I work in the AV integration and IT industries. There are a couple company called Altima Tecnologies and D-Tools that cater to the end users of this design indstry. Altima has a product called NetZoom which started off as a design tool for Network engineers, and grew intothe residential AV industry. D-Tools focuses mainly on the Res AV industry.

These companies both make symbols or have Manufacturers submit them for us engineers to use so we dont have to spend countless hours making blocks with measurements, costs, BTU calcs and other data embedded in them. However, both companies base their stuff off the MS Viisio platform, but are migrating to AutoCAD. Since you are not in a competing industry, and working in REVIT, you may be able to contact them and see what method they use to get manufacturers to participate. The Netzooom paople have been at it for 10 years and have a 30,000+ object database, to they may have good advice for you. If you look ath their demo WMV, they are intense on how they get updates and objects synced with you. I would look at it as cross-industry collaboration. So give it a shot, it dont cost nuthin.

So... when you get that started, and want to branch to the AV industry, we shall talk!

All the best to your endeavors. And dont let anyone tell you no.

Herse's links to their sites:
http://www.altimatech.com/home/index.php

www.D-tools.com
Contact Blake

George

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report