Revit MEP

Active Contributor
mwhea
Message 1 of 8 (2,756 Views)

Revit Circuiting (wiring)

2756 Views, 7 Replies
01-24-2013 05:10 PM

Hello,

New to Revit MEP still trying to mirgate from AutoCAD.

Is there a way to change the wire properties in Revit to only be drawn at 90degree angles or force the wires to come into the base of the outlet where the connector is located or the top?

This wiring obviously works in America as there symbols are 2 lines and a circle and when the wires find the nearest point to attach it looks correct – with Australian gpo symbols when this happens it turns out quite messy and unable to be read as a A3 print. Even if you go about drawing your own wire chamfer style it still won’t draw exactly straight lines. 

Obivously Revit isn't the same as AutoCAD but i would like to clean up circuiting drawings from what is shown in tutorials which looks rather messy.

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 2 of 8 (2,716 Views)

Re: Revit Circuiting (wiring)

01-25-2013 07:20 AM in reply to: mwhea

As of now, I think you are of out luck - there is very little that can be done about how Revit draws it's wiring. I dug into something like this a while ago, but I don't think anything has changes since. There can be lots of manual work involved to achieve the desired appearance. Or even hiding the Wiring and drawing simple Lines to represent it instead.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Active Contributor
DMaurer-Veca
Message 3 of 8 (2,692 Views)

01-25-2013 04:28 PM in reply to: mwhea

I feel your pain. Some things I have done to use the wire function is to turn off the homerun arrow in the visbiltiy graphics for the view. Then I don't need to have the wire attached to the device and can end it where I want. If I use the chamfer and have one end short, I can have it make a 90° without chamfering. I have a symbol I use to add the homerun arrow where needed, this has to be to the correct scale of the view I am working in. Not perfect, but it seems to get the desired effect. Good luck.

Diane M
engineeringsolutions317
Message 4 of 8 (2,234 Views)

10-09-2013 09:00 AM in reply to: DMaurer-Veca

Anyone figure out yet if there is anyway to change the circuiting from arc to straight lines?

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 5 of 8 (2,211 Views)

10-09-2013 06:48 PM in reply to: engineeringsolutions317

Like someone said previously, we're kind of SOL for the time being. Autodesk is really pushing Revit at the Architect level. I don't know why they're not listening to the MEP trades, specifically us in the electrical industry. Please try to spread this word: We need to be vocal about these requests. Both here and the AUGI forums are good places to be heard. In the 2014 release, I noticed a lot of the new features were available in AUGI's Wish List system. Go there, rank, vote, and make wishes to help make Revit better. They won't change until they see a demand.

You can also send a message directly to Autodesk here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Distinguished Contributor
thewrz
Message 6 of 8 (2,160 Views)

10-15-2013 10:53 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

Wires/circuiting has gotten no love from the Revit development team over the years.

• There's no control over the size of the home-run arrows (or ability to swap it out for a different Generic Annotation Family like you can with Wire Ticks).

• There's no control over quantity of home-run arrows (we'd rather just show one, and use the wire tag to show the quantity of circuits).

• There's no control over placement of the wire-ticks on the wire.

• There's only "chamfered", "spline" and "arc" for wires (in your use case, it would be nice to have something like AutoCAD's polyline so you can use orthagonal wires).

• If your wire is in a design option, multi-circuit home runs behave strangely. (this was in Revit 2012, haven't checked in a while).

• If your wire is in a design option, wire-gapping ceases to function (this was in Revit 2012, haven't checked in a while).

• Circuiting: There's no way to circuit equipment from a design option, to an electrical panel in the main model (only work around is to make sure you circuit the device/equipment FIRST before you move it into a design option.

• Circuiting: There's no way to manually adjust the sizes of the wires and quantity of runs (Using the NEC tables is great for automatically sizing, but sometimes the designer would like to add a spare neutral or a couple extra runs for an anticipated future service).

• Circuiting: There's no way to do DC distribution systems in the model. A single phase panel will ALWAYS show both an A and B bus --- so you can't create 24VDC or 48VDC distribution systems for say server equipment or fire alarm systems (how nice would it be to do your Fire Alarm voltage drop calcs in Revit? Or see if your 70V speaker system amp has enough oomph to power your long runs of speakers).

• If you have multiple circuits on an electrical device, the "Circuit Number" tag will ONLY show the circuit associated with the "Primary Connector" in the Revit family. The only way to get aroudn this is to create a wire out of EACH electrical connector and tag that wire. Looks goofy if you're doing a bunch of circuits off one junction box.

• Multi-section panelboards are unsupported (you can't do main lug to main lug commections between panels WITHOUT a breaker).

• Relay panels are unsupported in Revit. You can't, for example use an Electrical Panel family, and have a single feeder circuit (from an upstream panel) associated with multiple output circuits (as you commonly find in Relay Panels without a single pointsof connection).

• If your device needs to change from say, 120VAC single phase (1H 1N) to a 208VAC single phase (2H, 1N) device --- you have to disconnect the circuit entirely. Change the voltage. And recircuit. It would be much nicer if you could just go to your panel schedule, bump a couple circuits out of the way, and change the voltage and quantities of hot conductors on the circuit.

• You cannot associate wires (circuits) with runs of conduit like you can associate air/liquid with Ducts/Pipes. Benttley Electrical Systems can do this. (which is an absolute rubbish product in my opinion, but this is the only interesting feature it has over Revit MEP).

• You can't associate a Lighting Device (switch) with MULTIPLE switch systems. Sof you have a double-gang light switch with two toggles on it... you can't add that switch to both the "A" light circuits and "B" light circuits in your space.

I am sure there are more that I'm missing --- the point being, if you're doing an electrical design in Revit MEP, be prepared to develop a lot of work-arounds and procedures to get around Revit MEP's short-comings.

Message 7 of 8 (2,144 Views)

10-15-2013 01:23 PM in reply to: thewrz
I coudln't agree with you more. The problem I have, like I stated earlier, is I'm not sure enough people are asking for this. Send all of this to product feedback. I recently got in touch with an Autodesk Manager in my region. If he ever calls back, I will be sure to share this thread with him.

Thanks for your added input!
Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Active Contributor
jkarben
Message 8 of 8 (2,124 Views)

10-16-2013 05:34 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

You can give feedback here.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.