Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2010, Light fixture tag not reading Type Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mmermel
3299 Views, 7 Replies

Revit 2010, Light fixture tag not reading Type Mark

As part of the identity data for my Exit Sign family, I have included the shared parameter TYPE MARK.  when I try tagging the fixture, I get the '?'.  Highlighting the fixture and checking the TYPE PROPERTIES reveals a second TYPE MARK parameter that does not contain any information.  In fact, when I try to find this second TYPE MARK parameter within the family, I cannot locate it.  I believe it is a default parameter, hidden somehow, but there must be some way to pre-set its value in the family editor.

File Attached

Thanks,

Mitch

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dennis
in reply to: mmermel

I have run into that before as well, and 'yes' it is confusing.  In the Family, create the shared parameter "Type Mark" and then give it a default value.  The value you give it will be passed into the Project.  An alternative too would be to use a type catalog text file.

Message 3 of 8
mmermel

Clarification:  I did apply a default value to shared TYPE MARK parameter I put into the family.  Am I missing something else you are telling me

Message 4 of 8
dennis

...and make sure the "Type Mark" is a Type parameter in IdentityData.  Also, you may need to purge out the old Family.  In the past I have had some issues trying to "update".  As an experiment, give the Family a bit of a different name and then bring it into the project, if you do not want or can't purge the original.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I don't think the persons question was answered.

I'm having the same problem. The ID mark / type mark for the same light fixtures worked fine in the previous project, now all I get is a ?. If you hover over the ? on the new project the only thing that is different is the addition of switch ID.

Lighting fixture TAG: ETag - Lighting Fixture - Switch ID: standard 

Message 6 of 8
mmermel

Actually, Olbones, the information provided set me looking more deeply into the parameters and family creation and I managed to resolve that particular issue.  Just a few moments ago, someone came to me with exactly your problem; a previously used fixture would not tag properly in a new project.

When I checked the fixture family, I found that it was actually missing the parameter needed for our company created fixture tags.  I suspect it was fixed in a previous project but saved to the project's family folder since I'm the only person who can save to our actual library.  As I recall someone "fixed" the fixtures for that project becasue I was out of town at the time.

The point is, verify the parameters used by your tag, and then make sure the parameters are in the fixture family.

Oh, yes.  Instead of using the TYPE MARK, which got confusing, I created my own Schedule Type Mark parameter for my fixtures and tags.

Message 7 of 8
c.era

Just a question, did you go into the fixture tag and make sure that it is loking for the correct ' type mark'?

Message 8 of 8
c.era
in reply to: c.era

I looked at your family - it does have two type marks in the project and one in the family editor. You are using a shared parameter for type mark. Edit the fixture tag and direct it to look for that same shared parameter. Don't select Type Mark from Category Parameters, use the 'add' button below that colum, navigate to shared parameters and find the 'type mark' there. That should solve the problem. However, if this tag is working for all your other light fixtures you may want to rename before reloading-exit light tag? Otherwise you may have to recreate the familiy and not add the 'type mark' shared parameter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report