Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflected ceiling plan question

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
CVMN0501
7610 Views, 8 Replies

Reflected ceiling plan question

I have a query regarding Reflected ceiling plans, I'm using 2104 version of Revit. Please refer to the images below.

Are reflected ceiling plan supposed to be like this? On a floor plan, its like viewing the services from the top, but when i comes to the reflected ceiling plan, its like viewing from below. Are ceiling plans supposed to be like that? I wanted the services in the drawing to look right, the services on higher elevation should not look like the other way around. What i am currently doing is that, on the drawing sheets, i have 2 view ports, one for the floor plan with the services and then view with just the ceiling plan nothing else. Its a bit hassle at times since i need to create 3 views for this, Floor plan, Clean ceiling, and a working ceiling pan (where i modify stuff with respect to the ceiling grids), instead of just one view for all of it. Am i doing something wrong here? any assistance would be appreciated.

Capture16.PNG

Capture18.PNGCapture17.PNG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: CVMN0501

That's the exact definition of reflected ceiling plans...seeing things from below

If you want to see things like floor plan but also showing your ceiling grids you need to overlay your ceiling drawings above your floor plan....just be sure that mechanical stuff are not visible in the ceiling plan...you can use a ceiling plan with Architecture template for example and make everything half tone

Message 3 of 9
CVMN0501
in reply to: Mehdi.Kardehi

Yeah, thats our current practice, overlaying the ceiling plan over the floor plan in the drawing sheets.
Message 4 of 9
ajax05k

The other way to do it is to adjust your view range so your cut plane is above the ceiling. then adjust the transparency of the ceiling so U can see elements below, although this is not the correct way to do it, but U have bend the ways to make your own way.
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

In case you aren't already aware, creating the corresponding Reflected Ceiling Plan Views will be much less of a hassle with the use of a View Template (to instantly set the V/G Settings) and Scope Boxes (to instantly and identically match the same Crop Regions).

When you are overlaying the Ceiling Plan Viewport on top of the normal Floor Plan Viewport, it may get a little obnoxious if you are used to working through an Active Viewport (accidentally activating the Ceiling Plan instead of the Floor Plan). A little trick to avoid this is to select the Ceiling Viewport and "Hide Element". This will not affect printing, and will not only hide the View Title, but make the Viewport unselectable until it is unhidden.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 9
zachrohlfs
in reply to: ajax05k

@ajax05k wrote:
The other way to do it is to adjust your view range so your cut plane is above the ceiling. then adjust the transparency of the ceiling so U can see elements below, although this is not the correct way to do it, but U have bend the ways to make your own way.
I have tried this and it does not work.  I have yet to find something that truly works, with properly showing piping besides overlaying viewports which is one of the hackiest ways I have thought of to make this fix work.  Revit is very lucky they have such a monopoly on the market at the moment.

Message 7 of 9
mardon85
in reply to: zachrohlfs

Two years later from this post and we have a useless fabrication mode and sketchy lines but this massive issue remains. Come on it can't be that difficult to fix??? Why can't we have a "non" reflective ceiling plan view. i.e. just ceiling plan so we can fix grills and light fittings to ceiling and the ducts/pipes still displays as they always have in this industry. Please listen to your user base about what we actually NEED not what you think we need.
Message 8 of 9
zachrohlfs
in reply to: mardon85

They only fix it for architects and don't care about MEP items. Otherwise we would have had things that matter for showing piping below a floor like double lines, a better way to show risers within a building and myriad other items which are being lost for the ages that were once super easy to do on paper with a pencil.
Message 9 of 9
mardon85
in reply to: zachrohlfs

All it will take is a half decent alternative which actually works as intended and the whole European and Australian MEP community will move over. With the importance of BIM and collaboration we will just link in architects models as IFC and will never have to worry about Autodesk and their apparent lack of concern for our industry again. As long as the program we use can create coordinated working drawings along with the relevant COBie information we will be fine. I think I will look into ArchiCAD and potentially moving our company wide subscription to them. The updates and support the MEP industry gets from Autodesk is frankly pathetic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report