Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFA and RVT files not associating with Revit 2012

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
NicholasWard
2945 Views, 4 Replies

RFA and RVT files not associating with Revit 2012

When browsing through windows to find RFA and RVT files, they display with a blank white icon and open the "Open With..." dialog box when I try to open them. Revit doesn't display in the program list, and browsing to Revit.exe file doesn't add it to the list.

This problem did not occur when I was using MEP 2011, only after I installed 2012. I've been opening files from within Revit since, but got sick of that today and tried doing a repair reinstall to no avail. Then completely uninstalled and reinstalled (twice) to no avail. Uninstalled and erased every single support file, family file and revit-associated file from my computer and reinstalled. Still won't even show Revit in the "Open with..." list of programs.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be and how to fix it? This is driving me insane and the next step I can think of is to format the entire computer, which is an option about as fesible as immersing it in salt water.

-Nick

Chris.Aquino
in reply to: NicholasWard

It sounds like a Windows issue. The following links have more information on ways to associate file extensions with applications:

Windows 7 - Default Programs - Associate a File Type or Protocol

Change which programs Windows uses by default

Problems with "File Association" in Windows 7 64-bit

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 3 of 5
NicholasWard
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Cheers. Turns out the problem is caused by Windows registry still looking in the non-existent 2011 revit directory.

in reply to: NicholasWard

Hello,  I just recently switched from 2010 to 2012 and I am having exact same issue. When I go to Start >Default Programs>Associate a file type or protocal with a program, it doesn't even list any Revit extension. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
NicholasWard
in reply to: Anonymous

The solution that worked for me (cheers Chris.Aquino; life saver!) was the following:

• From start menu, open Run...
  • Enter command "regedit" to open the registry editor
  • Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Revit.exe\shell\open\command in the registry editor
  • Open (Default) and change the value data to match the new program location. Note the year in the folder name.ie.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit MEP 2010\Program\Revit.exe would be changed to

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit MEP 2012\Program\Revit.exe

That should fix it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report