Revit MEP

Contributor
xxjwilson
Message 1 of 10 (1,146 Views)

REVIT 2014 STILL HAS NO FUTURE!

1146 Views, 9 Replies
10-28-2013 02:33 PM

I've been a Revit user for an MEP firm for 4 years now and with every release I hope that Autodesk finally incorporates the ability to show content that exists on future phases. Sadly the latest release has not been updated to do so. Every project I've worked on since the beginning has been a multi phase project, and when designing large MEP systems we always have to space plan for future equipment. Ideally we want to show new equipment "by category"and have any content that might exist in the future show up as halftoned and dashed. This allows for more accurate bidding by contractors and better coordination between disciplines. The current phasing structure allows you to create future phases, and place the content on them, but the visibility filter will only show what is on the ACTIVE phase and anything PRIOR. So if I have  3 phases: (EXISTING, CURRENT PHASE, and FUTURE PHASE) and I want to print to the current phase, anything on the FUTURE PHASE, disappears. If I switch to show FUTURE PHASE all the content on CURRENT PHASE, is considered existing by revit and now has the visibility of such.

We have come up with very creative ways to work around this but any kind of user defined view filters , only apply to our model, and often becomes a coordination issue with Architectural and Structural firms. I've asked one of the Arch firms we frequently work with how they deal with this and they suggested creating duplicate views and laying them directly on top of the other on a sheet, one showing the future view and the other showing day one content, that means maintaining an excessive number of views especially in very large projects. Under Greenfield conditions (no existing work) we can simply set the "EXISTING" graphic override to show "BY CATEGORY" and have the "NEW" graphic override to show a halftoned and dashed style, then create a phase filter that shows "NEW" as OVERRIDDEN and EXISTING as BY CATEGORY. Great problem solved....until the future work needs to be done and now you need the use of that existing phase.

Point being that a third VISIBLE phase would solve all of this, NEW, EXISTING, and FUTURE

If anyone has a solution that just uses the built in phasing tool that Revit comes with and doesn't involve elaborate view filters based on worksets or duplicating hundreds of views, please reply to this post, I'm open to any suggestions, thank you in advance.

mroman
Message 2 of 10 (902 Views)

Re: REVIT 2014 STILL HAS NO FUTURE!

01-08-2014 03:07 PM in reply to: xxjwilson

After much debate and many headaches my office has decided that the quickest and easiest solution is to set the future objects on a temporary phase (setting them to be created and demolished within the same phase). 

It's not the best solution but until we are giving something useful to work with it's the best we've come up with. 

I've set all my "future" walls to be created and demo'ed in the new construction phase. I then create a view filter called "Show Future" that displays all new comstruction: by category, existing: overridden, demolished: not displayed, temporary: overridden.

By doing so I get all my new construction elements as dark heavy lines, existing as thin gray lines and "future" or temporary as dasshed lines. 

Phasewise it's incorrent but with a simple note to our consultants our headaches seem to be less frequent now. 

billsbz
Message 3 of 10 (812 Views)

01-16-2014 07:53 PM in reply to: xxjwilson

I see that you have been using Revit for quite some time now.  I am curious, Are you doing any piping with with the program, and tell me of your experience with the manujfactures RFA and Csv files.  Are they working for you?  Do me a favor if you decide to answer please use my email address(billsbz@hotmail.com)

Thank you for your comments,

Bill

Active Contributor
EKey
Message 4 of 10 (789 Views)

01-17-2014 09:02 AM in reply to: xxjwilson
We use a Workset "Future" and then use Filters to override graphic appearance for elements on that Workset.

In general I agree, Revit must have a way to display future phases.
Best Regards,
E.K.
Mentor
dtiemeyer
Message 5 of 10 (784 Views)

01-17-2014 09:18 AM in reply to: mroman
If you're only attempting to show it graphically different, have you considered creating a 'filter' for it combined with a yes/no checkbox shared parameter? That would allow you to show content as dashed and exist in the 'present'. Or perhaps an 'integer' parameter for the phase number, if you have a lot many phases. Yes I know this is a complete hack, but might get you by.
Striving to be a WOMBAT, Waste Of Money, Brains, & Talent...

⁞|⁞ Please use the Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you!
Active Contributor
EKey
Message 6 of 10 (771 Views)

01-17-2014 04:03 PM in reply to: dtiemeyer

Please see the attached picture. Hope is clarifies the idea.

Best Regards,
E.K.
billsbz
Message 7 of 10 (762 Views)

01-17-2014 05:17 PM in reply to: xxjwilson

I want to thank everyone trying to explain to me thier ideas.  I feel I must try to explain myself more clear.  I am a retired plumber teaching my self Revit.

You have many fittings, each with thier own RFA and or Csv file.  The RFA files are in the Library and the Csv files are in the Look-up table.  The issue is some of the look up tables are wrong.  I am running Revit 2014.  I have talked to some of the manufactures and they know of the problem and are hot on it to fix it.  What I am really looking for is someone experiencing the same.

Thanks again

Bill

Contributor
xxjwilson
Message 8 of 10 (755 Views)

01-18-2014 06:19 AM in reply to: EKey
Thats what we did for a few projects but we ran into issues when exchanging the model to other disciplines. The content looks right in the model, but as a link the filters don't carry over. You cant assign a filter to look at worksets from a link.that I know of.
billsbz
Message 9 of 10 (749 Views)

01-18-2014 07:48 AM in reply to: xxjwilson

ALERT, ALERT, ALERT

IS THERE ANY ONE OUR THERE IN THE REVIT WORLD THAT IS A MECHANICAL ENGINEER WORKING WITH PIPE AND THE FITTINGS

THAT BUILD SYSTEMS IE, HOT, COLD AND RETURN WATER, HYDRONIC SYSTEMS, FIRE PROTECTION, NATURAL GAS?

Contributor
xxjwilson
Message 10 of 10 (743 Views)

01-18-2014 08:06 AM in reply to: billsbz

billsbz, I started this forum to discuss the need for future phase filters to be built into revit and the limitations / workarounds to not having them, this is probablly not the best place to ask questions about piping. If you back out to the forums and do a search for "piping systems in revit" there are at least a dozen threads that discuss the topic.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube