Revit MEP

Employee
KyleB_Autodesk
Message 11 of 30 (128 Views)

Re: Question for Autodesk (We are all interseted in knowing)

03-19-2008 08:14 AM in reply to: Jarom05
We will be releasing a 32-Bit version only. We are investigating a 64-Bit version. We will not have multi-core support this year beyond our MentalRay Rendering Engine.

As for load times, I know that we've made some improvements to load times, but I really can't make broad quantitative statements. I know that we have made specific improvements to Hidden Line display in Mechanical and Electrical views. I cannot speak to specific improvements to STC times.

As I stated, the biggest improvements are in data propagation, things like updating flows are much faster. As for the System Browser, we did some performance optimization on that feature to speed things up.

As for Layout Path, the big one is the implementation of the Base Element, which allows for the users to set a common routing point when there is no Equipment defined for the System.

I'll be going into much more detail on these on my blog, which is a much better medium to explain this stuff, you'll just need to wait until I get the time to cover all of this stuff.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com/

Kyle Bernhardt
Product Line Manager
Revit Services
Autodesk, Inc.

Employee
KyleB_Autodesk
Message 12 of 30 (128 Views)

03-19-2008 08:16 AM in reply to: Jarom05
The only reason is honestly that we have not heard the market need to do so. We have heard it very recently, but it was too late to make the release. We'll explore this for the future, as I understand the need for this functionality.

Cheers,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Product Line Manager
Revit Services
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Contributor
joefields
Message 13 of 30 (128 Views)

03-19-2008 08:27 AM in reply to: Jarom05
Thanks for clearing up the 64bit and multi-core questions. I've heard different rumors and just wanted to get a straight answer so I didn't get my hopes up. I am sure that we will still all see big improvements in performance regardless and it gives us more to look forward to next year.

Thanks for the blog. I check it religiously and I feel like I am learning as much as I would if I was taking a class on this stuff and the product isn't even out yet. I think we will all feel much more at home and comfortable with using these new tools the minute we open Revit MEP 2009. It will surely speed up our implementation process. Keep up the good work Kyle!

Thanks a billion,
Joe Fields
*KeN Etter
Message 14 of 30 (128 Views)

03-19-2008 12:35 PM in reply to: Jarom05
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:14:01 +0000, Kyle B [Autodesk] <> wrote:

>We will be releasing a 32-Bit version only. We are investigating a 64-Bit version. We will not have multi-core support this year beyond our MentalRay Rendering Engine.

What about 64-bit Linux version?

Novell....it does a server good!
Active Contributor
scenerstrip
Message 15 of 30 (128 Views)

03-19-2008 01:59 PM in reply to: Jarom05
Treknip

I will answer your issues, If you are so unhappy with Revit MEP, then why don't you go back to AutoCAD and draw lines, arcs and circles or maybe goto pro-cad or ACAD MEP or a software package that is offering all the plumbing that you need. From my experience, plumbing is usuallty the portion that lacks in all software that is MEP specific. If you want just plumbing and the way you are asking you will need to find a program specific to piping an plumbing.

I hate to be an *ss but it's people like you that make the forums confusing with the negativity. All you hear about on these forums typically are the things that are going wrong and not often enough the things that Autodesk is doing right.

If you are this upset with Autodesk maybe you should go complain to your reseller, after all they are the one that sold you the software and from what I hear must have misled you in some how?

B. Wright
Employee
KyleB_Autodesk
Message 16 of 30 (128 Views)

03-19-2008 02:05 PM in reply to: Jarom05
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Product Line Manager
Revit Services
Autodesk, Inc.

treknip
Message 17 of 30 (128 Views)

03-19-2008 03:08 PM in reply to: Jarom05
I am using AutoCAD. I have been for the past 12 years, and Microstation before that. I work for a full service firm. What software I use is not my decision. I'm simply a plumbing designer. The Corp of Engineers informed us a short time ago, that, in the not so distant future, their jobs will require Revit Architecture, Structure and MEP. The firm bought several licenses to start training. My part, obviously, was to learn the plumbing side of the software. When I was told this I was eager to learn it. I learned how to build 3D models years ago with Microstation V5 and thoroughly enjoyed it. So, the bottom line is, I can't just "Go buy a plumbing specific program". I have do use what firm and our clients demand. I do not think you are being an *ss, however, I am not sure why you are confused with what I wrote. I have never had a problem with Autodesk until now. I have always enjoyed using AutoCad. Would you rather I not express my concerns over this software? I am not intentionally being negative. I am simply stating the facts. What would you have posted if you were in my position? I have the Corp of Engineers and the President of the firm breathing down my neck to learn this software and it is useless. What would you have me do? Come on here and sing the praises of Autodesk? I did go back to my reseller. To get a referral for a company that could train me. I certainly was open to the idea that I just don't know how to use the software. They gave me a name. IMAGINIT Technologies. I emailed them and told them of my frustrations with Revit MEP 2008 and that I needed one on one training. Their response was, "We have suspended our training for Revit MEP 2008 because it does not work and it has no content. And that isn't good for anyone". Those were their words, not mine. I don't feel mislead because buying software licenses is not what I do for a living. Our IT guys loads the software and says, "Learn it". No, I was not misled, because I knew nothing about the software. I went into this with an open mind. I am extremely disappointed. So, if you want to live in the real world, you have to be honest once in awhile. I am sorry that my honesty has somehow offended you. There is absolutely one way I can come here and post positive messages regarding Revit MEP; Create the software to work as is intended. 100% complete and operational.

Treknip
*KeN Etter
Message 18 of 30 (128 Views)

03-20-2008 05:25 AM in reply to: Jarom05
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:05:49 +0000, Kyle B [Autodesk] <> wrote:

>I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

I figured that would be the response...I just dislike being locked
into Windows on the desktop.

Novell....it does a server good!
Distinguished Contributor
sschwartz
Message 19 of 30 (128 Views)

03-20-2008 05:47 AM in reply to: Jarom05
Treknip - I do not believe you are being negative in your comments, I found them to be a completely fair, logical and well stated, containing enough information as to your frustration.

I also give kudos to both Kyle B. and M. Schmid, who have both been taking on what appears to be a more active role in trying to help us solve problems lately on the forums/discussion groups.

IMHO Message was edited by: sschwartz
treknip
Message 20 of 30 (128 Views)

03-20-2008 06:39 AM in reply to: Jarom05
sschwartz,
Thank you. Now that my rant is over, what do I do now? Is there any way to get around the whole plumbing software problem? I am open to any and all suggestions. Is there a web site that solves these problems and offers help with simple instructions?

treknip

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube