Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Browser Family organaztion

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Cbowke
528 Views, 5 Replies

Project Browser Family organaztion

New to Revit Mep just downloaded the trail version because roumor has it that our company is headed that way.

The question I have, is there a way to organize the project browser families sub-folders by manufactor instead of having all the pipe fittings in just one folder?

Like right now the OTB piping fitting are gouped together as "Stanard or PVC"  in the Pipe Fitting Folder in the Project Browser Families drop down, I would like to have a individual folder for each of my manufactors content, so that I can just draw striaght from there and have to navigate thourgh the potentally masses of fittng of fitting that will be added. For example I would like to have a folder with all my fittings Charlotte fittings Nibco, and or Elkhart Brass fittings. Or maybe call me crazy I would like to be able to take it a step even futher and possiby gourp thins by type of material such as copper or steel piping and then onto the manufacture. 

I have great expections for this software but I need to overcome the small hurdles first. 

and don't even get me started on Pipe hangers yet.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Cbowke

I have found they organize themselves Alphabetically, I don't know if you can change that, but you can name your families so they group themselves. I am working on 2012 and have found many errors with Charlotte families. I would suggest using the REVIT pipe types for your first project, maybe trying a few downloaded fittings and selecting each fitting size to make sure they don't blowup on you. The P-Trap thinks it is an elbow, so typically REVIT substitutes an elbow in it's place. Very frustrating.

Message 3 of 6
Cbowke

Yeah I figured that would be issues with the charlotte fittings...the way that they were created they can't even use the auto-route with the bends except the one you chose, there is no mixing of quatrer bends with eighth bends unless you manully insert one. 

I figured that there would be some set up work with the software to make it work the way that I would need it, that's why I am triyng to jump in early and not get caught between deadlines.

Message 4 of 6
JGuptill

I would love if Autodesk added the functionality to the families to be able to organize the browser into folders and subfolders. There are a ton of bolt types I use in drafting that do not nicely alphabetize. I would love to be able to minimize and expand a "bolts" section or what have you.

Message 5 of 6
bsammis

You pretty much just have to be careful with your family naming conventions - the browser will organize families alphabetically within model categories and that's it.  We use a series of prefixes to aid in family browser organization.

Message 6 of 6
JGuptill
in reply to: bsammis

I added a wish to the 'wish list' but we'll see what happens. I might just have to figure out another way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report