Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Creating Spaces with Design Options

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dhorger
2867 Views, 6 Replies

Problem Creating Spaces with Design Options

In MEP, I'm trying to create spaces from rooms in an architect's model for an area that is using design options to define an alternate floor plan. I need spaces for both design options that the architect is using, but when I try to place the spaces for the non-primary design option, it doesn't find the rooms. Placing a space also results in duplicate rooms, since I already had the spaces for the primary option.

Is there any way for this to be done?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dhorger

According to Wikihelp, "Rooms can exist in design options. Space cannot exist in design options."

If the alternate is comprised of addition building area (i.e. an alternate-only wing), then you can user the Space Separator tool to create boundaries for the rooms and then place Spaces within those. You can create a project parameter to define the Space as alternate for scheduling purposes.

If the internal architecture is configured differently for each design option, I think your out of luck. I can't think of a solution to this other than creating a separate model for the alternate.

If no one comes up with another solution: Use this link to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to the Development group.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
dhorger
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for the reply. I had aleady discovered that spaces won't go on design options. My problem was that the architect was using design options and had two very different versions of a floor plan. We needed to have spaces attached to both versions of their rooms, primary and non-primary.

Doesn't sound hopeful that there is a way to do it. We will probably just have to wait until the redesign is approved to apply our spaces and space tags.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dhorger

In experimenting, I found that Space Separators can be placed into a design option, however, it is no longer recognized as a valid boundary for a Space.

As a possible work-around, you may be able to create an additional Phase for the alternate. If you select the Link and go to Type Properties, make sure that the Phase Mapping for this phase corresponds to their New Construction. This will allow you to place separate Space for the alternate, but since they still won't recognize the design option rooms in the Arch link, you will have to create Space Separators to make the boundaries. You will also have to use heavy visibility controls (i.e. worksets) to hide the elements of the base design in the alternate phase, or else they will show up as existing.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
dhorger

Thanks for researching this. Considering the amount of work this work-around requires, I'd rather wait until it becomes permanent before I add the room names. I've got a meeting this morning with the architect and I will discuss this issue with them. If it turns out that we have to have them now, I'll be testing out your solution.

Thanks!

Dave Horger

Message 6 of 7
tkendrick

I just want to add that Rooms that are a part of an option, the Name and Number associated does not come through in the Link. So you can't use the Space Naming Utility to synchronize your Spaces with Rooms, they come up as Unoccupied/Unoccupied. So you have to manually name the Spaces.

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 7 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: tkendrick

Right. What we've done in the past is:

1. Open the Architectural model.
  2. Navigate to an overall View of a floor.
  3. Disable the option "Exclude Options" (bottom right).
  4. Select all of the Rooms. Select all elements and use the Filter (bottom right) to narrow it down to Rooms.
  5. Modify tab » Cut to clipboard.
  6. Modify tab » Paste▼ Aligned to same place.
  7. Repeat for steps 1-6 for each floor.

This process effectively moves all of the Rooms to the Main Model, thus permitting the MEP Spaces to associate with them. This works because an architectural Room will still recognize a boundary even though it belongs to a Design Option. I cannot guarantee that this will work in all circumstances. It'll work best when an area of the building is included under one Design Option, and completely omitted in the other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report