Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointclouds!

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
asommer
4282 Views, 10 Replies

Pointclouds!

Has anyone used these before?  I have a raw data file (.fls), I use the pointcloud command in Revit, it tries to index the file.  I keep getting an error using Revit 2012, Autocad 2012 and 2011.  Is there an add-on required, or maybe a serious graphics card?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: asommer

whats the error message?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
asommer

Attached is the error from RMEP 2012.  What I am trying is a trial file from a company that sells these scanners,  He is able to open it with Autocad civil 3D.  I have Autocad MEP 2011 and 2012, which should work.  This error comes up when I "Index" the raw data file.

Message 4 of 11
asommer

Is there an add-on or a specific video card for this to work?

Message 5 of 11
Jrobker

Can you get a hold of a PCG file?

I bet only 5% of the users out there have even used a point cloud for MEP.

My guess is if they have, than it has probably been a pcg file.

I have no idea how revit interops with those raw formats, but I do know you need a program called ESRI ArcGIS Desktop to open a fls extension. Maybe get a hold of a demo and see if you can convert it.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 11
asommer

It should be able to do something with the raw format, it tries to index it but gives an error in doing so.  I guess it will have to be a pcg file.  I was hoping to bypass the $5000-$15000 program to do so.

Message 7 of 11
rene.sommer

Hi,

You can try to install the FARO SDK from the following link:
http://revit.downloads.autodesk.com/download/2012RAC_RTM/faro_sdk.zip

Rene Sommer
Message 8 of 11
asommer

Ok, so now I am able to insert the Point Cloud...

How can I change the "Weight" of the points?  The V/G does not give an option for overriding the Lineweight of the Pointcloud.  I print a floor plan view, I can barely see it.

Message 9 of 11
asommer

Also, I cannot seem to snap to these points... I thought we were supposed to be able to snap to this?  I looked in the Revit Help, it is supposed to recognize "Planes" that are perpendicular to the work plane.  It does not.

Any comments?  Was there an asterisk or disclaimer somewhere that I missed?

Message 10 of 11
rene.sommer

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no option to control the number of imported or displayed points. You can submit a request to the product designers using the product feedback page. Click here.

Regarding the snapping, it is working as long as there is a significant ammount of points on the plane surface and the view direction is perpendicular to this surface.
If you have a point cloud of a building that is taken from the top and quite far away from the building, the cloud will contain only a few points for the vertical surfaces. So it will probably not be able to snap to the surface in the top view.

Rene Sommer
Message 11 of 11
asommer

There it is....  There's that asterisk!

Thank you, Rene.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report