Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plumbing fixtures in architectual link

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
althrash3
4535 Views, 7 Replies

Plumbing fixtures in architectual link

I'm drawing in my plumbing file and I've linked the arch's drawing in. About half of the architect's plumbing fixtures are MEP fixtures (with the connections). Since I'm using a link and the plan is one entity, I can not utilize the MEP fixtures the arch used. Do we have to re-insert all the plumbing fixtures on top of the arch's fixtures? If this is the only solution, how can we "turn off" the arch's fixtures once we have the MEP fixtures inserted? It seems to me, both sets of fixtures will still be under the same plumbing fixture visibility type.

I may be going about the process all wrong. I think I'm still trying to make Revit work like CAD.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Littlebluedog
in reply to: althrash3

You are going about the process right.  This has been an issue since revit first started.  There are a couple of things you can do, but to answer your question first, you can turn off the architectural plumbing fixtures by going to visibility graphics>Revit Links, to the right of the architectural link there is a column called display settings, you can click this and a new dialog will appear, this will allow you to change from "By host view" to custom.  Then under model categories, the drop down can be changed to "Custom".  You can then go through the categories list and turn off the plumbing fixtures in the architectural model only.

You can also copy/monitor fixtures in 2011 allowing you to match the architects fixtures exactly, but this won't solve your connector issues.

What I do is create universal fixtures (just a name I made up).  Instead of showing a toilet, in this case a floor mount flush valve, I show a sanitary connector at the floor and a water connector at the wall.  I use simple geometry to use to attach the connectors.  I've attached a sample, as far as revit is concerened, it is a plumbing fixture but it avoids fighting with the architect over the look of toilets and allows them to "nudge" things for clearance/asthetics without messing up my piping systems.  I've created fixtures like this for all of the typical fixtures I use on projects, toilets, lavs, sinks, urinals, etc.

Yay I'm talking about Revit and stuff
Message 3 of 8
PHILB222

Hi, do you mind to share/upload the other fixtures?

thanks.

Message 4 of 8
Littlebluedog

I will have to run this by the bosses.

Message 5 of 8
Sandleaz

You should tell the architects to give you the fixtures to put them in your model(s) and delete them from their models.  That way you can connect to them in your model and the architects can reference them in their drawings.  

I may be going about the process all wrong. I think I'm still trying to make Revit work like CAD.

The underlined portion is probably trouble. 

Message 6 of 8
Littlebluedog
in reply to: Sandleaz

Having worked at an architects office for 6 years, getting them to delete fixtures is not going to happen.  First from a control standpoint and second from a practical standpoint.  I won't approach the control portion.

For the practical argument.  The exact location of a fixture matters to the architect, not the plumber in most cases.  The architect has to place items with codes and standards like ADA and the building code in mind.  A plumber needs to show how big the pipes leading to it and leaving it are.  Of course there are exceptions to that but overall it is pretty accurate.

That is why the universal fixtures (my name for them) work so well.  They hold all the information the plumber needs but does not fight with the graphic information that the architect needs.

Message 7 of 8
Sandleaz
in reply to: Littlebluedog

For the practical argument.  The exact location of a fixture matters to the architect, not the plumber in most cases.  The architect has to place items with codes and standards like ADA and the building code in mind.

I understand the exact location matters and there are ADA requirements the architect needs to comply with.  However, why not just tell the plumbing engineer the exact location of the fixture so that he/she can move it there?  The architect can have everything besides the fixtures in their models. If the architects are being lazy to make the extra step of linking/showing the plumbing model containing the fixtures, then that's the architect's fault.  

If the architect doesn't want to give up ownership of these fixtures, perhaps the plumbing engineer should just force allign his/her fixtures to the architect's or copy/monitor.  A little communication between the two parties would solve all the problems.         

Message 8 of 8
RSalikhov

Old topic but nevertheless, what works for me is that I copy/monitor plumbing fixtures, however I modify the plumbing fixture family by selecting the shape of the plumbing fixture itself and unclicking Visible option in Graphiocs of that family. That way the plumbing fixture still exists with proper connectors but it doesn't appear in your model or other models that may be linking your model. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report