Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plumbing/FP piping vs. HVAC piping

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
JacobJBB
1256 Views, 23 Replies

Plumbing/FP piping vs. HVAC piping

Our firm has a seperate department for P/FP and HVAC, therefore we issue seperate drawing sets. In Visibility/Graphics Overrides, Pipes, Pipe Fittings and Pipe Accessories account for ALL piping. If I turn them off, I lose both HVAC piping and Plumbing Piping.

How do I seperate the two types of piping for when I want to issue a seperate HVAC piping drawings and seperate PFP piping drawings?
23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
TexasJetter
in reply to: JacobJBB

Ok, I've been thinking on this topic and reading the posts trying to get my head around this topic. Kyle, I checked out your blog and it has some good tutorials - thanks for taking the time to put it together and keep up the good work. I think I see the advantage of systems and I understand that in part that is what Revit is all about.

If I understand the way Revit works correctly when a user modifies a system he effectively borrows the entire system, locking other users out (as indicated by a previous post and by our experiences). Jason seemed to indicate that this would be an unlikely scenario, however I believe it may not be. If I have a cold water system entering a 14 story building an distributed to each floor I presume in a "system" based scenario there would be one cold water system for the building. I may have different designers working on multiple floors each needing to connect to the cold water system. Additionally we were looking forward to Revit's ability to allow multiple designers in the same trade to work on the same floor. While Revit allows you to do this apparently no so if they need to connect to the same system.

I guess what I am not completely sure of is where a system begins and ends. In my 14 story scenario is every cold water pipe in the building on the same system (an subject to lockout) or if I put a lift pump on the 7th floor is the system split in half by the pump? Kyle spoke of "strategic breaks" in a system. How can you break a system and still have both sides know it is on the correct system.
Message 22 of 24
bh1313

We are having the same issues as Jetter suggests and there have not been any clear way to fix this. This is exactly the problem we have and was why i suggested the same use, but I can understand the dangers of that.

Once we place "Strategic breaks" the system is now lost and thus put in Revit space where any user seems to take ownership of this. Maybe the last person who saved takes ownership, I don't know, but if you want us to design from the "System" we can not do it with multiple users at the same time on the same ssytem. Like Jetter said, how can one person draw on the third floor from a CW system and another user draw on the 8th floor from the same CW system without taking ownership or borrowing? That is the problem.

Revit is now seeming to be a one person at a time thing for us. As soon as two people work on it big problems.

Please solve these issues and quickly.
Message 23 of 24
JacobJBB

We have the same problem also, as stated by bh and jetters. I was told that this is the correct functionality and Revit MEP is doing what it should be doing.

If changes propagate throughout a 'system' then what is the purpose of the 'workset'? I seem to be confused with the two features.
Message 24 of 24
PaulHristov

Jason,
Thanks a lot for the detailed description. No I am not thinking of RME as a drafting tool and like I said we tried to use it that way. When I said that it worked fine in a small project I meant that so far always at some point there were weird things started to happen. In the small project we didn't work on the project long enough to see them happening. Not that the file size was the reason. I am not going to continue arguing. I am going to reopen the case with Autodesk Support. If you can please take a look at the file that would be great. I told Josh that you would be interested looking at it. I am going to start with only one problem for now. Then we can talk about the others. The problem is. I have four pipe systems somewhere I decide to delete just a peace of a pipe. All the sudden another system converts itself from Return to Supply even if it is still connected to Return connectors. No colors or linetypes are working anymore. Very interesting, a?
Don't get me wrong I love RME and I am not on this forum to complain of it. I am here for the same reason that most of us are. To make it a better software. Once again thanks a lot for your time and understanding.

Paul Hristov

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report