Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing Light Fixtures

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
911 Views, 3 Replies

Placing Light Fixtures

I cant seem to place light fixtures correctly. I can put them on the ceiling but I cant snap them to the grid. same thing for mechanical air terminals. I created a new project and linked in the architects model but systems doesnt recognize the ceiling grid as something to snap to. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If I understand your problem correctly, this is a limitation of families that are hosted by specific elements (ceilings, walls, floor, etc...). Families that were defined based on such a template will not recognize elements in linked files. In order to have your families recognize elements in linked files, the families must have been defined based on a "face based" template, such as "Generic Model face based.rft". "ceiling based" families will not recognize elements in linked files.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

You can use the Align tool to constrain your fixture to the grid.
This can be a very tedious solution. You might be better off using ceiling hosted lighting fixtures. I don't think there are any that come with the software, but there is a family template for ceiling hosted light fixtures so you can easily create your own. I have created a few and they behave as expected.

These will only work if you are working in the same Revit model as the grid itself though, since they need to be hosted by the actual grid, and not a linked architectural background.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

You should be able to get snapping to work if you change the view discipline
to Coordination. It appears that the snap references for the grid aren't
drawn if the ceiling is drawn as an underlay. I'll log a defect on this
behavior.

jason

wrote in message news:5309721@discussion.autodesk.com...
I cant seem to place light fixtures correctly. I can put them on the
ceiling but I cant snap them to the grid. same thing for mechanical air
terminals. I created a new project and linked in the architects model but
systems doesnt recognize the ceiling grid as something to snap to. Any
ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report