Anyone, please help. I am trying to re-create a ceiling based family using a generic model face based, but get stuck when inserting the ceiling based family as a component. (which I understand is how I'm supposed to do it- No?)
Heres what I'm doing; I created a new family from the generic face based model. Defined the family category for Lighting Fixtures, added Family Type dimension constraints (for length, width, & depth), verified the reference level is good, set up additional reference planes, and created a void for the fixture. Next I loaded the existing ceiling based family into my new family. If I'm in the floor plan ref. level I can't see the ceiling family getting inserted. If I'm in the 3d view I can see it automatically get placed exactly where I want it but everything is grayed out and I can't select anything in the view. I do get the Modify/Place component ribbon (in green), but only the Mode tab is green with Load Family being the only option I can select. If I click on anything else the component command cancels out. If I click load family I can re-load the same family file then I get the pop-up to specify types. I select all types available (or just one) and click ok which takes me right back to load family again- still with no other options. What do I need to do next in order to confirm the component placement? Shouldn't there be another tab I'm missing that would allow me to confirm or cancel the component placement? Attached is a screen shot of what I'm getting. I've also checked the above steps on another install in our office and got the same problem result.
Number one - if you have a Ceiling-Based family, there is a method to converting it to a Face Based family: Change Family Host Type.
Extrusion visibility is controlled by one of two parameters (aside from category). One is simply the Visibility checkbox under the extrusion's properties. The second is the Visibility/Graphics Overrides under the extrusion's properties. Click the "Edit..." button and you will see the conditions under which the extrusion will be visible once the family is loaded into a Project or another family.
For the other issues, you may have to post your Family file for us to take a peek at its settings and parameters.
It'd be nice if we could just sticky a thread on how to convert Wall/Ceiling/Floor based families into Face based.
Mods, sticky? This question comes up all the time.
Yep. A sticky message might be nice, but not as nice as if Autodesk would make a simple function for this in Revit 2013. The functionality is right there in Copy/Monitor! How difficult could it be to isolate this function?
Ok, I tired the other import dummy project method posted above and it did work for that one type only. However, I did loose the 12 or so other types that were defined in that family so I had to revert back to the original. Any other methods I can try?
Also, I'm still not sure why I can't finish the component command. I checked my visibility is checked on. I've attached the original family as requested. I'm only trying to load it into a generic face based family template using the component command, but still can't finish the command. Any ideas why?
With the family in question, you choose from a list of Types to select upon loading the family into a Project. If you Copy/Monitor the family and then save it somewhere, place the .txt file in the same location. Note that the files must be named identically, so the ".0001" prevents this from working.
You cannot use the ceiling-based family as a component because it still requires a ceiling to host to, even within another family.
Strange; I was trying to get it to work and switched to my second screen to type an email reply I had open, but hadn't clicked in my second screen. I was still in Revit, and accidentally started to typing while the the place component was still active (when the fixture showed up on the face, grayed out, but with no way to confirm it) and it actually accepted the fixture and inserted it onto the face. I saved over the original (not the .001) and it will now insert on a face. Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work again but at least I now know it is definetly possible and will work as expected. Now I just have to firgure out how to repeat it.
I couldn't find what would've caused it to do that. It must be a Revit Miracle! Enjoy it while you can, those are few and far between. If you do happen upon the cause, please post.