Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe elbow fitting to show straight not curve

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
EddieFromDC
1949 Views, 6 Replies

Pipe elbow fitting to show straight not curve

Hello,

Still no response in another forum so I'm posting here. (My deadline is nearing).

For detail level "Medium" we would like to have straight lines for elbow pipe fittings

instead of curve.

I can't seem to lock one of the lines in the family when in a 45 degree elbow.

We would like the single line pipes look like image no 2. 

Can someboby please show me how to lock the lines properly....Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: EddieFromDC

Attached is your modified family. I added two additional reference planes, one vertical and one horizontal. I then drew the model line from the center point to the intersection of these planes. Each of this planes is constrained by one of the new parameters "Offset X" and "Offset Y" respectively.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
EddieFromDC

CADastrophe,

Ah, reference plane. Learn something important today...Thank You!

Message 4 of 7
EddieFromDC

CADastrophe,

I followed your instructions but cant seem to make this fitting work. When you get a minute could you please

tell me what I am doing wrong or not doing....Thanks

Message 5 of 7
CoreyDaun

Either: 1. Start over again or  2. Delete you model lines and new Ref. Planes, change the angle to something besides 90° and choose to remove constraints. Now...

1. Set the 'Angle' parameter to 60° or so to make it easier to work. If the angle is at 90°, then some Ref. Planes will overlap.
  2. Create the two offset parameters and set their length to 1'-0" for now. Again, easier to work.
  3. Create the two Ref. Planes way above and to the right of anything else, and set to "Not a Reference" under properties. I found that sometimes drawing them too close other elements creates unwanted, invisible constraints.
  4. Create dimensions and constrain the Ref. Planes to the two parameters. Ensure the planes intersect.
  5. Draw your Model Lines beginning at the intersection of your ref planes down to the center intersection, and to the left side. This will create the desired association.
  6. Set the formula for the parameters, Horizontal: "cos(Angle) * Center Radius"  Vertical: "sin(Angle) * Center Radius"
  7. Set the angle back to 90° to ensure proper functionality.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 7
EddieFromDC

Okay...Thank you very much.

Message 7 of 7
mcklem

Does anyone know a quick way to modify the out-of the box REVIT copper elbow so that it displays with a straight 90 line in coarse view rather than curved line. I dont even mind if it shows tick marks at the connections. But the curved lines look horrible.

I tried just deleting the curved line and drwaing a straight line but the line does not adjust with the angle of the fitting.

Please help!

Thanks,

MCKLEM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report