Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe display in Project

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
WheelerCJ
1001 Views, 24 Replies

Pipe display in Project

Hi,

I mentioned this problem a while ago and I still havent found a fix. All my pipes and fittings display really bad in my project. They print/pdf no problem and look fine but it's becoming very hard to work with these pipes and fittings because it's difficult to snap/align to them.

Also any link file displays really poorly with lots of jagged lines but again plots fine.

I have attached some images to try and help you understand what I'm faced with.

Is there any way I could export my whole project to a new project because I don't have this issue when I open a new project and start drawing pipework.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

If it helps I can send the project. It's about 19MB so probably too big to load on here.

Tags (1)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
WheelerCJ
in reply to: WheelerCJ

Here is another image where I have shown the pipe surface to be diagonal hatch, again displays very bad.

Message 3 of 25
CoreyDaun

If you create a new project and then insert your file as a Link, does the graphical headache carry through? (The attachments gave me an error when attempting to view them, so I couldn't see exactly what your dealing with...)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 25
WheelerCJ
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for your reply.

I have just opened a new project and linked in the revit file and the problem is the same. If I open a new project and start drawing pipework from scratch it's perfect.

I have inserted images here - Hopefully they show it. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Message 5 of 25
Martin__Schmid

Wow. that's cool.  Kind of like the 'Sketchy' Visual Style in AutoCAD.

What happens if you:

1 select one of the fittings, and then Edit the Family.

2 Make some innocous change (i.e., in Properties Pallette check 'Work Plane Based, click Apply, uncheck Work Plane Based, click Apply.)

3.  Reload the family into the project, and overwrite the existing version.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 25
CoreyDaun

It appears that the fittings in the images are not perfectly aligned. If you draw a straight pipe in the middle of nowhere, and then tee into it at exactly perpendicular angle, does the fitting still appear that way? But then again, that wouldn't explain the poor appearance of the Link. And using those exact fitting families works perfect in a new project?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 25
WheelerCJ

All those fittings are drawn at right angles/aligned etc. It's all very frustrating. Even a random pipe in the middle of nowhere with no fittings attched still leaves the sketchy edge.

And yes they all draw no problem in a brand new project. I have tried opening this project on other machines and the problem is still there.

This is my first ver Revit project and although I think MEP is brilliant this is very annoying.

Would uploading the project help?

Here is another image showing a family that has been inserted into the project. I have then drew some circles around two void extrusions - you can see the perect circle from the family but then you see my wonky circles I have drew myself. This is a section view.

5.JPG

Message 8 of 25
CoreyDaun

I've never seen that before. Maybe there's a "crooked lines" option active or something? I would think someone needs to directly investigate the model in this case.

Message 9 of 25
WheelerCJ

Apart from asking on forums and discussing with a Revit expert at the company I don't know anyone else. Is there somewhere I can contact directly with Autodesk on this??

Would setting up the drawing with co-ordinates have anything to do with it? I seem to remember a guy doing it for me and there were survey points etc which seemed miles away??

Message 10 of 25
Martin__Schmid

Having the coordinates 'miles' away could be the issue, depending on how it was all setup.  I was able to reproduce by drawing a few pipes about 23 miles north and 23 miles east of the 'origin'.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 25
WheelerCJ
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

I have attached the project here. Please could someone look at the co-ordinates and let me know if they are the issue.

Many thanks

Edit - File is too large.

What can I do to check the co-ordinate settings?

Message 12 of 25
CoreyDaun

You can use the Spot Coordinate tool to learn where you are relative to the current origin point. Go to Manage Tab » Coordinates » 'Specify Coordinates at Point' to choose a new basepoint or 'Acquire Coordinates' to match your project's origin to that of the specified Link.

Message 13 of 25
WheelerCJ

Thanks again.

I have done an inquiry and the co-ordinates are all in mm. Temporary dimensions are also in mm. How can I scale the whole project by 0.001 (the way you would in 2d CAD) to get it back to meters? I have re-typed the coordinate in the 'specify  coordinates at a point' and although that changes the co-ordinates at that point it messes up all the other point. A simply scale by 0.001 would get everything back to meters but I know it's not that simple.

Hopefully this is the fix I have been looking for.

I have revealled all hidden elements in plan view and this is what I get. I hope this helps?

COORDS.jpg

Message 14 of 25
CoreyDaun

Revit doesn't work like that. It's intended to be a realistic model, so you cannot just scale everything as you would in AutoCAD. You should go to Manage tab » Project Units to control the unit of measurement.

Message 15 of 25
WheelerCJ

I have edited my post above with an image. That should make thinks clearer.

Thanks again for your time.

Message 16 of 25
CoreyDaun

Drag the Project Base Point over towards your building and see if that corrects the graphics. But first click on the little paperclip symbol so that there is a slash through it, or else it will move all of the project's elements along with it. This will not affect the coordinates of the project - that is based upon the Survey Point.

Message 17 of 25
WheelerCJ

Right,

Just done that and got the following;

Untitled.jpg

Message 18 of 25
CoreyDaun

I tested and, unfortunately, even if you could get that icon over to your building, it wouldn't help. Your only solution is to move the entire building, including ALL elements. This would prove arduous and most likely catastrophic as well. Since everything prints fine, the better option may be to deal with it this time, and remember it for next...

Message 19 of 25
WheelerCJ

😞 This project is about 7 months old and has about another 9-12 months to go. If I moved EVRYTHING would that also retain the sections and views/3D views I have created or would that all be messed up??

What's the best way to move everything? I may as well give it a shot.

Message 20 of 25
CoreyDaun

It will probably mess everything up. You would have to create a 3D View, Reflected Ceiling Plan, and an Elevation that show everything, with no crop regions and unlimited View Range, and the select every element in each View. THEN, you would have to go to every view in which you have a Tag, Dimension, or other annotation and select everything there as well. Even then, I give it very, very slim chances for success. Good luck...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report