Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Tag for BOP, Using Invert Elevation

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
danielkazado
4331 Views, 6 Replies

Pipe Tag for BOP, Using Invert Elevation

Hi All,

Pipe Tag for BOP (Bottom of Pipe) I am using the Invert Elevation parameter.

The problem is Invert Elevation is calculating from Offset - (Inside Diameter/2) . However the real BOP shall be Offset - (OutsideDiameter/2).

This is not a big issue for small diameters but for bigger diameters it is a real problem. Do you have any way for accurate tag of BOP.

I would like to mention that I tried the Spot Elevation, it is ok with the pipe but when there is insulation and I want to show BOP without insulation this also does not work.

I tried to have a Shared Parameter for this but I could not write formula to the parameter.

The only way I could find until now is to change the Segment of pipe and make Inside and Outside diameter same to have a proper BOP tag. Which I do believe shall not be the case.

Daniel Kazado

Please use Accept as Solution if your question is answered.
You may Give Kudos if the answer is helpful.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Unfortunately, it is not possible to add calculated values to the pipe tag. Therefore, the safest way to indicate the bottom of pipe would be through a calculated value in a schedule. It is not a good idea to alter the value of the inside diameter of the pipe just to force or fudge the invert elevation parameter to be the value of bottom of pipe. Altering the inside diameter value will affect other calculations, such as pressure drop, that use that inside diameter value in their formulas.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
danielkazado
in reply to: danielkazado

Thanks for the reply. We can have the BOP data in the schedule but not in tag as you also say. I also do not prefer to change ID but this was the only way I could find.

As we are preparing shop drawings and tagging Real BOP with Revit not possible comes hard to believe to me. This is a very common tag for piping.
Daniel Kazado

Please use Accept as Solution if your question is answered.
You may Give Kudos if the answer is helpful.
Message 4 of 7
CharlesGoin
in reply to: danielkazado

I almost had a very major issue with a project do to the fact I ASS_U_MEd Autodesk knows what an invert of a pipe is.

If not for another designer catching my tag was labeling things wrong it could have been an real issue as we were tagging 6 and 8" sanitary pipe.

Might want to fix this.. ASAP

Message 5 of 7
CharlesGoin
in reply to: CharlesGoin

Other item I noted.. on SLOPED pipe ( FYI AUtodesk.. which is where Invert is most often used ) the "Invert" tag, only displays the lowest point of a run and does not change along that run. So if you put the tag on the high point of the pipe you get the low end invert. 

It doesn't work like a spot elevation and it SHOULD. 

See attached.. I often need BOTH Inverts in PLAN. 

Message 6 of 7
CharlesGoin
in reply to: CharlesGoin

REALLY AutoCAD still no resolution for what is a VERY VERY common issue for MEP plumbers and Designers ?

Message 7 of 7

Hello,

I am not agree with others.

In Revit have a way to tag BOP.

Simple way is to use elevation tag set to bottom.

The way i use is a little bit tricky. I'm using dynamo for replace simple tag to BOP formula. 

My advice is to use elevation tag for bottom level. This is simple solution.

Eng. Iliev L.             

⁞|⁞ BIM Implementer, Project & BIM Manager, Coordinator, MEP Engineer

⁞|⁞ http://www.TechRoom.bg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report