Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing and Designating families to be existing

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kadmonkee8
459 Views, 11 Replies

Phasing and Designating families to be existing

Is there a setting for designating a component to be in a particular phase?

Does Revit know what to designate the selected component prior to placement?

I am trying to place a sprinkler head in an existing view, using the existing phase in the view but it wont display, so I have to go to the new view select the sprinkler head and change the phase created in  from New to Existing.

Any suggestions are appreciated

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: kadmonkee8

Check out >this thread< and if you have any questions or anything, don't hesitate to ask!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
abulla

To place existing equipment, set your phase filter to Show All, and your phase to Existing. As you've seen, if your Phase is set to new construction, anything you try and place in an existing view will not be visible.

Message 4 of 12
kadmonkee8
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thank you that helps a great deal

I should have mentioned we have linked files with phasing to consider also.

Is it typical to link the Architects model and set the phasing to match what they have set?

Also, if you have a core and shell linked into the interior fit out with different phasing which takes precedence?

Is it better practice to link these files separately in order to deal with them separately?

Message 5 of 12
CoreyDaun

kadmonkee8 wrote:

"Is it typical to link the Architects model and set the phasing to match what they have set?"

Yes. Typically, you manually create the Phases in your project to match those Architect's. Then you would check the Phase Mapping to ensure that the projects are in sync. To check Phase Mapping, select the Link in any View and go to Type Properties.

kadmonkee8 wrote:

"Also, if you have a core and shell linked into the interior fit out with different phasing which takes precedence?

Is it better practice to link these files separately in order to deal with them separately?"

Does that mean that the Core and Shell exist in separate models? If that's the case, then the phasing would be determined by Phase Mapping, as per my previous response above. I believe that it would be better if the entire architecture was in a single model, barring that this would be necessary to reduce the file size of a monstrous project.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 12
kadmonkee8

yes in this particular project the 2 models are separate and then linked independantly to our discipline models

the phase mapping is also different in each linked model (thus all my confusion)

Message 7 of 12
CoreyDaun

Well, then they'll be linked in separately. Could you list the Phases from each model and their intentions and relationship to each other?

Message 8 of 12
kadmonkee8

i have attached a doc with screen shots and phase , phase filter description of the 2 files in question

Message 9 of 12
CoreyDaun

The Phase Filters appear to be the same for both project, which is good, but can you post an image comparing the info from the Project Phases tab?

Message 10 of 12
kadmonkee8

actually the phase filter settings are the same, but the phase filters being used in the views in each model are different.

maybe i am overthinking this.

i am unable to post images of the project due to privacy issues.

Message 11 of 12
CoreyDaun

kadmonkee8 wrote:

"i am unable to post images of the project due to privacy issues."

Understood. But know that without knowledge of the actual Phases in your Project, I can only attempt to provide some guidance.

You will have to do some chronological coordination. You can recreate all of the Phases from both project in your MEP model, but put them in proper order based upon when the that work will take place. If two of the Phases will be under way at the same time, then you can merge those Phases into a single Phase in your MEP Project. Then you will need to configure the Phase Mapping for each link as explained in post #5 in this thread.

Message 12 of 12
kadmonkee8

Thank you for your help

it has cleared up most of my questions and understanding of Phasing

I will check into the chronological coordination to verify all is good

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report