Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phased by Phasing

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
clippincott-CL
844 Views, 12 Replies

Phased by Phasing

In the Revit MEP template file my company usesI have added a Project Phase called "Demolition".  In the Phasing "Graphic Overrides", I have assigned a thinner line width and a Hidden line style to the "Demolition' phase.

What I'm not understanding is why objects are not taking on the line width and line style for the "Demolition" phase when I insert them into a view that has the "Demolition" phase assigned to it.  When I check the properties of these objects, the "Phase Created" field says "Demolition".  If I change this to "Existing", which is the phase before "Demolition" on the "Project Phases" tab, the objects take on the line width and style assigned to the "Existing" phase.

If I change the phase of the view to "Existing" and insert objects into it, the same thing happens, they don't follow the Phasing "Graphic Overrides" for the "Existing" phase, they basically follow the line width and style designated for their "Catagory" in "Object Styles".

It seems like if I have some graphic overrides in place for a phase and assign that phase to an object then that object should take on those graphic overrides.  Obviously there is something I'm missing.

Can anyone shed some light on why this is not happening?  Thanks in advance for any responses.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: clippincott-CL

Don't create a specific phase for Demolition, unless you have specific reasons to do so. In a "standard" project, you will only need Existing and New Construction. The appearance of Demolished elements is determined by the element's Phase Demolished parameter (under its properties) and the Phase parameter of the View. When setting up initial views, I recommend creating three - Existing, Demolition, and New Construction, with the settings below.

View              Phase                         Phase Filter                     Purpose

Existing           Existing                        Show Complete                 Place ALL existing elements here.

Demo              New Construction        Show Previous + Demo    Set the desired existing elements to Demolished.

New               New Construction        Show Previous + New      Place ALL new elements here.

Demolition is not a Phase, it is an Action within a Phase (to quote a Jrobker). If an element is marked to be demolished in the New Construction Phase, then it will appear as you intended in the Demo View. Just ask if you need more information.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (2)
Message 3 of 13
clippincott-CL
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Ahhh, I was just looking at it the wrong way.  "Demolition is not a Phase, it is an Action within a Phase."  That sentence makes all the difference.

Thanks CADastrophe (and Jrobker).

Message 4 of 13
asommer

I have a similar problem...

I have an architectural model that has 2 phases... Existing and New Construction.  The Architect set Demolished objects to be demolished in New Construction.  I need to show my existing to remain as light lines in New Construction, and I got that to work, but I see the Architect's Demo stuff!  Can you help?

Message 5 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: asommer

Is this intended to be a demolition or a new work plan? You said that you see the architect's demo, but are you seeing your demo work as well?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 13
asommer

My Renovation Phase.  I don't see my demo (correct), but I do see the Arch's demo (Incorrect).  I do have Existing, Demolition, and New Construction.  They only have Existing and New Construction.

Message 7 of 13
CoreyDaun

You have a "Demolition" Phase? Is there a specific reason that you need that phase? Normally, one should only need the Existing and New Construction phases.

Message 8 of 13

asomer,

So, your Renovation Plan is intended to show just existing and new, correct? Why not just use the New phase?

Regardless of that, I'm wondering what the graphics overrides are in the New phase of the architectural model itself.

AJ

Message 9 of 13

I was thinking that perhaps the Phase Mapping should be set to: Demolition Phase = arch's Existing Phase.

-or-

Maybe he has to override the Phase Setting for the Link under Visibility/Graphics Overrides.

Message 10 of 13
asommer

If I just have existing and new, existing shows same as new, even with the different filters.  Links display phases differently.  If I get my existing pipes to show grey on new construction, then I also see the Architect's DEMO, since thier demo is on the new construction phase.

I have a demo phase so we can keep track of it.  our engineers change thier mind a lot, so I need to "Keep" the demo'd objects just in case.

Message 11 of 13
CoreyDaun

WIth your current situation, I think you'll have to override the Phase of the Link, under V/G.

I am not quite clear on the need for the Demo phase - attached are three images of a random project with an arch link. This was done with the basic two phases in each project (arch and mep). If you are looking for something other than what's depicted in these images, can you elaborate on what your aiming to show?

@asommer wrote:

"I have a demo phase so we can keep track of it.  our engineers change thier mind a lot, so I need to "Keep" the demo'd objects just in case."

Sorry, I don't quite follow you on this. Is this so you can easily find a demo'd elements and set it back to existing to remain?

Message 12 of 13
asommer

I don't want to show demo on new construction.  Just Existing and New.  I want existing as grey.

Message 13 of 13
asommer

Ok, so I switched the Phase filter back to "Show Complete", and it worked fine.  I had this set before, but it showed the existing to remain as NEW.

Just as anything else in revit, do it a third time and it will work.

Proceding to throw keybo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report