Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Void Form Arrays

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
revitworkbench
2718 Views, 5 Replies

Parametric Void Form Arrays

Ok, so I am having trouble creating a parametric array of void forms. The major problem is two fold. First if i create the extrusion that I which I need to be a structural framing member family type with holes in it (void forms),(think HSS with holes in it) it will not accept a deductive algorithm with its foundation in the length of the structural member. In other words the holes start and stop based on an undiscovered driving parameter, locked plane or something, (not arraying in a predictable manner). When I flex the family in the family editor, it seems to work fine (array in a predictable manner), but when I load it into the project, it refuses to reproduce the effective flexing that occurs inside the family editor. Secondly, if I succumb to the traditional nested families methodology of parametric arrays, there is one major problem, the nested families would have to be void forms, however the, nested void forms can not cut the extrusion in the parent family therefore they are useless. Does anyone have any tricks around this? It is important that it remains Structural in nature. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: revitworkbench

I am unable to reproduce this behavior, can you attach you Family file?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Ok, so Im posting a quick rehash of the family because I already overwrote the original one. But this one behaves in much the same way. It behaves fine in side the family, but strangely in the project (see attached pictures for examples of what Im talking about). Right now I am arraying a nested family but its annoying because they refuse to join once arrayed and I cant decrease the size in ad infinite manner only by the length of the nested family. Definately not idea I know... Please let me know if anyone has any better ideas Thanks!

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

I've only opened the Family file, but I noticed that the extrusions and voids appear to have no relation to the Reference Planes of Origin, which I think could *possibly* be causing the extrusion and the array to be controlled differently. Is there a specific reason that the Extrusions aren't based on the original Reference Plane?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
revitworkbench
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Yeah that is all because of the quick rehashing of the family I did.I my first family I did indeed lock the Void to a plane and then locked the distance of that plane to the starting plane which was one of the planes associated with "Length" But that didnt seem to matter. Both families behave the same. There is no reason that the void is not on the reverence plane other than I flipped the unit over and readjusted the voids so that they still cut it. I did this because I couldnt figure out a way to rotate the family in this direction in the project. Not even mirroring worked. So I created a new family for each orientation that I wanted... I dont know if that helps, but if you can get it to "behave" in the project environment, I would love to know how you did it. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

I got the Family to work by recreating the Array Group and removing the square extrusion that was overlapping the primary extrusion. I created the Voids in the Ref. Level View, and constrained their depth in the Front View. As per my typical process for Arrays, I included a Reference Line in the Array so it is easier to control the spacing with Dimensional Constraints. I don't know what caused your error, though. See attached modified Family (Revit 2014).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report