Revit MEP

*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 11 of 13 (145 Views)

Re: Parametric Flange With Bolt Holes

07-09-2013 08:46 AM in reply to: Hugh_Compton

I think the problem is that you're inputting 360 in the angle for the polar array, and it's causing an overlap of the last instance, and that's giving it fits.  Just manually draw out the radial extent to be something like 45 degrees to create the array, then manually drag the extents to 360 degrees, and it works fine.  Then you can click on the temporary dimensions of the array to set the radius (no need for a cirucular reference line as I suggested earlier, sorry), and assign a parameter for the quantity.  Seems to work OK then.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Mentor
Hugh_Compton
Message 12 of 13 (133 Views)

07-11-2013 01:28 AM in reply to: rosskirby

It works now! Thanks Ross.

My main problem was that the array would work on the family but when I tried to 'flex' it to a different size Revit would refuse to change the array.  Simple fix was to ignore the dimensions A and B (see earleir posts) and just use the pitch circle diameter that the bolt holes were on.  Also, ignore rotating the array in the family that hosted the array. 

I used three families in the end - the host being the one that held the rotation angle (I still had to use a group in order to rotate the array without errors occuring when flexing the various sizes). 

As an added bonus I added a shared parameter instance angle - meaning that when the flange is in a project and requires an 'odd' angle I can simply change the shared angle parameter. 

All working well so far but I will continue to do more testing. 

Thanks for your help people. 

*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 13 of 13 (126 Views)

07-11-2013 05:56 AM in reply to: Hugh_Compton

Awesome, glad you got it to work.  Trying to have circles, arrays, and angular parameters all in one family was an ambitious task; I'm glad you were able to pull it off.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube