Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Family - floor grating

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jarrad27
13037 Views, 5 Replies

Parametric Family - floor grating

Good Morning Revit Land,

I am attempting to create a parametric family that will allow me to stretch a small portion of floor grating to fill the actual size of my platform. I have attached both the combined family, and the family component.

I am getting close to my goal, but I can't get past this bump in the road. I would like to be able to "stretch" my square floor segment, both up, and to the right. If I can use the bottom left corner for my insertion point, I could use grips to stretch the segment up and to the right to fill my actual platform dimensions.

It would be a parametric array left to right, and another parametric array down to up. I can get my slats to array to the side, but I can not stretch the length. The bars do stretch with the slats, but the width dimension stays the same, and they end up staggered.

I'm hoping I just need to align, lock, or modify some of my parameters. I feel like I'm close, but who knows.

Thank you in advance to anyone who could help point me in the right direction.I appreciate it.

Jarrad

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jarrad27

Hello Jarrad,

Regarding the Horizontal Array:

This one is an easy correction; edit the Group and select the Family Element. Under Properties, click on the little gray button to the right of "Width1" and then select "Width1" from the following dialog. This will link the value of nested family parameter to the value of the selected parameter in the host family.

Regarding the Vertical Array:

First off, I think you would be better off creating the element as a Nested Family (just like the other array) instead of a standard Extrusion. Secondly, you "Length1" dimensional constraint is attached to the Array Elements. In order to gain the ability to stretch this family vertically, it needs to be attached to the "Top" Reference Plane.

Don't hesitate to ask if you run into any more problems!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
jarrad27
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Corey,

Thank you yet again for your help. Of all the responses over the years, yours by far, are the most direct, detailed, and thorough. I have a "working" family for the moment.

I am going to try to do the nested family per your suggestion and see if I can't get it to work.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

I truly appreciate the compliment! Smiley Happy My participation in these forums serves as a means of continuous self-education, so thoroughness helps solidify the knowledge in my own head, as well. I'm always happy to be of assistance.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
francfiles

Hello,

is it okay if I just download your family and use it? 

Message 6 of 6
orlando_gomez
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Team,

Where is the latest working family, i tried to edit the current family and it is not working.

Thank you in advance.

Orlando

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report