Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panel Schedules

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
p.addington
5689 Views, 11 Replies

Panel Schedules

Hi all.

Can any one explain to me why the panel schedule for a single phase panel shows two phase columns, "A" & "B"...

Surely for a single phase system there should only be one phase column.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sparkie001
in reply to: p.addington

No easy answer - a matter of historical predicence.

In the US, with two hots 'A' and 'B' and a Neutral 'N' is considered "single-phase":

1 - Some say it's to differentiate it from old 2-phase systems where the phase angles were 90 degrees apart

2 - Because you only get one sine waveform when you put an oscilloscope across hot-hot or hot-neutral.

3 - Because you can only connect single-phase loads to it.

If you use a search engine you'll get another 100 answers.  <G>

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 12
jboone
in reply to: sparkie001

In the US single phase means either 120v 1POLE -OR- 208v 2 POLE.  It is very confusing I know and don't personaly like using those terms.  It should be more specific, and most engineers know that.

Programs should be more specific, but I think the programming going on in in electrical is FAR from being very engineer friendly.

Message 4 of 12
p.addington
in reply to: jboone

Thanks a lot.

Im in South Africa and we very seldom, if ever, use a 2-pole panel. We mainly use a single phase or three phase panels. The distribution systems we use are either 230v single phase or 400v / 230v three phase. So we either have one phase column or three phase columns on the schedules.

Im also a draughtsman, and im just trying to set a set of standards for the company so when we introduce the program fully into our office, its easier to use by the other draughtsman.

Thanks a loyt for the help, its made some things very clear to me.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 5 of 12

The explanations by the US guys have also helped me understand the response from the UK Autodesk office. Their response was that "In the US there was no requirement for only a single column schedule so that is why they haven't done it."

Surely it is a simple task to add another tick box in the panel schedule options to ignore/hide the last two columns. Also noticed that when trying to do a "Rest of the World" single phase panel schedule, the loads and phase start to get confused by circuiting "By Phase".

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 6 of 12

It shouldn't have been an issue to place a simple tick box.

There is how ever an option to hide the phase columns, which in fact would make sense, because even if you have one phase or three phase the total load should be the same? correct me if im wrong, I dont know much about Loads on boards.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 7 of 12
jmlarias
in reply to: p.addington

Hello, This is an old post but I'd like to know if you found a workaround for the problem of the single phase - single pole system. I am in France and here we never use two poles single phase systems. Sorry for resuscitate this old topic. Jesus
Message 8 of 12
p.addington
in reply to: jmlarias

Hi.

Don't stress about the resurection of this topic.

Unfortunately I haven't found any workaround yet. I also haven't worked properly in Revit for a while now.

I have a feeling this will have to be a wishlist item for future Revit packages.

Paddy.

Design Technician
CKR Consulting Engineers
Nala Consulting
Sandton
South Africa
Message 9 of 12

Support for single phase, line-to-neutral panels was added in Revit 2021.  If there are outstanding issues, gaps, or other related improvements, please submit new Ideas.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 12
jmlarias
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

Yes!

Thank you very much.  I'm happy to know that old posts are kept in agenda somehow. 

Jesús Arias.

Message 11 of 12
gmansfield
in reply to: Martin__Schmid

Hi, any chance this functionality can be added into 2019 and 2020 as an update?

We have projects currently running in these versions and in most cases our projects don't get upgraded to the latest version when it gets released.

If this is possible, it would save us an enormous amount of time because of the workarounds we created to make this work in our office.

Regards,

GARY MANSFIELD | bim manager
ckr consulting engineers
johannesburg
south africa
Message 12 of 12
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: gmansfield

@gmansfield  - thanks for the inquiry.  Unfortunately, no, it is not technically possible to bring these changes into prior versions.  

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report