Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opaque Setting in Air Terminals

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
norcaljess
845 Views, 9 Replies

Opaque Setting in Air Terminals

We just received a request from an Architect that reads as follows, does anyone know what they are referring to?  I can't find this "check box".

Thanks,

Jess

We noticed on our ceiling plans that after we linked in your REVIT model that the ceiling fixtures (supply, returns, exhaust) do not cut out of our ceilings. This gives the final appearance on the ceiling plan, as though the gyp. bd. or T-bar ceilings is behind your fixtures. Almost like a surface mounted condition. Would it be possible for you to look at your families and see if you can turn the background in the families to “Opaque” (it’s a check box) this will make your object non transparent and will cover up anything (hatches or lines) behind your fixtures. We appreciate your help on resolving this issue.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jrobker
in reply to: norcaljess

A couple of issues here.

The Architect has NO IDEA what they are talking about and are assuming your doing something different than what they think they have read about and is even possible.

A ceiling mounted diffuser will "cut" a void where the ceiling is. The problem with this is the ceiling cannot be copy/monitored. You would have to create your own ceiling (or copy theirs) to use this family. This is only beneficial for an integrated AEC firm. Your (face/plane non-hosted) diffuser is probably sharing the same plane as the Arch's ceiling therefore the diffuser cannot be seen.

There is no such box called "opaque" in the diffuser family. You either make the solid or symbolic lines visible in plan. He probably thinks you have a filled region in your family.

If I were approached with this question I would just nudge my diffuser down however you can, rather it's a reference plane or based off of offset height.

Good luck

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 10
norcaljess
in reply to: Jrobker

Ha!  Um.... ok... I'm not even sure how to respond to our architect about this.  I'll figure something out.  So you're saying if they show their ceiling at 9'-0", we should nudge the air terminals down to an offset just below that?  Say 8'-11" or something?  And this will resolve the architect's visual issue?  I guess I'm confused in that now our air terminals are all going to be at the wrong elevation.

Message 4 of 10
asommer

Lighting Fixtures are the same way. What we do is have the architect put lights in where we have them. They don't usually do the diffusers, but if they want the ceilings to show correctly, THEY have to put the same objects on THEIR model in the exact position YOU have them. other than that, you can add an extrusion to extend the light or diffuser down below the ceiling surface to ALL your families. Pick your poison.
Message 5 of 10
Jrobker

Adding the extrusion would be a good solution if it works. Sometimes modifying a families geometry after it has been placed and has a physical connection might break the connectivity after re-loading. You never know what results you'll get.

So yes, either nudge or add the extrusion. Remember a ceiling plan is a view looking up so the diffusers have to be closer to the floor.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 10
norcaljess

I'm revisiting this issue.  I still haven't been able to resolve.  It was suggested to use "Masking Regions" in our model.  I tried this but it didn't work.  I'm starting to wonder if this is going to work on non-hosted families.  Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Jess

Message 7 of 10
norcaljess

By the way, I did try all of the solutions already suggested here and none of them have worked. 

Message 8 of 10
Jrobker

Do you know what exactly it is, that the Architect wants to achieve?

Is this for plan views or 3D/camera views?

Masking regions will not work in 3D, so I'm assuming he needs this done for plan.

Message 9 of 10
norcaljess

Yes it's for plan views.  My guess is that they just don't like the appearance?  Especially in the hard lid ceilings, there's the speckled hatch that appears "under" our grilles. 

Message 10 of 10
Jrobker

ok, i see.

Have you tried making the solid in the terminal family visible in plan? That should mask anything sharing the same plane.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report