Revit MEP

Contributor
BMART
Message 1 of 11 (2,265 Views)

One line diagrams

2265 Views, 10 Replies
03-13-2009 06:32 AM
Has anyone figured out a way to creat one line diagrams (riser diagrams)?
What would be the best way to create them in Revit or should I create them
in Autocad and convert them into Revit?
Thanks

Brian Martin
Brian Martin
BIM/CAD Manager
Scheeser Buckley Mayfield LLC
Valued Contributor
ekuz
Message 2 of 11 (2,265 Views)

Re: One line diagrams

03-13-2009 07:10 AM in reply to: BMART
Until recently, we had been doing our single line diagrams in AutoCAD. Once upon a time, we were maintaining two title blocks and printing direct from ACAD. As we progressed, we found it easy enough to bring those single lines across into Revit, thus sparing us updating two title blocks, creating dummy sheets for drawing lists, etc.

Now that our folks are comfortable with the program, we have now converted most of our single line blocks to Revit annotations, and are developing the single lines directly in Revit.

All three approaches have been successful, and it's really a question of what's most important to you.
Valued Mentor
dennis
Message 3 of 11 (2,265 Views)

03-13-2009 07:12 AM in reply to: BMART
My recommendation is to do any diagraming in AutoCAD MEP. AMEP has the schematic diagraming tools for all disciplines. Once you create them in AMEP, you can bring them into the RMEP project. If you link, then you can update in AutoCAD, if you embed, then you can edit within Revit.
Contributor
BMART
Message 4 of 11 (2,265 Views)

03-19-2009 04:25 AM in reply to: BMART
Thanks for the info. Dennis when you link it in is there a way to make the lines come in dark
because right now they come in light?
Thank you
Brian Martin
BIM/CAD Manager
Valued Contributor
ekuz
Message 5 of 11 (2,265 Views)

03-19-2009 06:44 AM in reply to: BMART
go into your view properties and change the Discipline to "Coordination"

it seems revit thinks arch backgrounds are the only conceivable reason you would import CAD.

silly revit
Distinguished Contributor
Jarom05
Message 6 of 11 (2,266 Views)

03-19-2009 07:55 AM in reply to: BMART
You would think that a big software company like Autodesk could come up with a way to have Revit create one-line diagrams. There are other companies that do not even develop software that have figured this out. Maybe Autodesk could coordinate with them. It would be really nice to see this implemented into Revit MEP. Catipillar has one for generator layout. Edited by: Jarom05 on Apr 15, 2009 7:44 AM
Contributor
BMART
Message 7 of 11 (2,266 Views)

03-20-2009 05:13 AM in reply to: BMART
Thank you ekuz.
Brian Martin
BIM/CAD Manager
Distinguished Contributor
bcaudill
Message 8 of 11 (2,266 Views)

11-11-2009 01:42 PM in reply to: BMART
Has anyone made any head-way with Single-Line risers in REVIT?

What I've done thus far is created annotation families of the content needed for the single-line with labels to help populate the information. One of the things I noticed right away was that REVIT doesn't allow annotations to have snap capabilities except for the insertion point. Which is crucial with single-line. So, in REVIT in order to accomplish this, I created a grid of reference lines to use as a template for single-lines. This atleast now gives us some sort of formatting when drawing in the template. The families themselves are simple annotation families with family types controlled by yes/no parameters. This made it easy to expand the family in the project browser and drag and drop symbols into the view. It's not a perfect solution, but the concept seems to work. Not sure if this is the best solution, but I was looking for a way to keep the # of families down and create a system in which is easy to bring in symbols.

Here are the problems:

1. I tried detail components as well. Detail components provided me with the ability to snap anywhere on the symbol but (a) they can't be scaled and (b) they don't have the ability to add labels. Labels are important so the user can quickly add the necessary information to the symbol.

2. The annotation text or label will not remain readable if the symbol is rotated. Obviously VERY important that text remains readable. I'm assuming this is because the annotation has no hosting element. So, it doesn't know which way is readable.

Any other thoughts? Ideas? Edited by: bcaudill@cannondesign.com on Nov 11, 2009 1:43 PM
cardinals&gold
Message 9 of 11 (2,253 Views)

09-01-2010 03:52 PM in reply to: bcaudill

so even revit 2011 cannot create single line diagram?

amaddox
Message 10 of 11 (905 Views)

01-21-2013 12:58 PM in reply to: cardinals&gold

Doesnt even seem that 2013 can.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube