Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OOTB Panelboards

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ljacobs
727 Views, 4 Replies

OOTB Panelboards

When looking at the OOTB panelboard families they have different types in each family for the different Mains. So 100A, 225A, 400A, and 600A. But the "Mains" parameter is an instance parameter. so if you orignally place a 100A panel then later need to change it to a 225A panel and you change the type but the Mains parameter stays at 100A (since its an instance parameter). You have to manually change it to 225A. Wouldnt it make more sense to have this has a Type parameter? And the parameter is hard coded into the family so you cannot change it.

Secondly if you have a MCB panel the MCB Rating is a type parameter. So say you have 2 MCB panels both are 100A Mains and one has a MCB rating of 30A and the other 60A. So you need to duplicate types to create the different MCB ratings for the panel. It seems like the MCB Rating Parameter should be an instance parameter but once again this is hard coded and cannot be changed.

It would make more sense if the mains parameter was a type parameter and the MCB Rating an instance parameter.

Can someone explain why these are setup the way they are? Maybe someone from Autodesk can chime in?

Are those parameters used in other calculations with the panels? I was thinking of creating our own company parameters and flip them like describing above but dont want to do that if they are being used in other calculations.

Thanks,

Larry

P.S. this is Revit MEP 2011 im looking at.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ljacobs

This is an issue that I have been pondering for some time, as it still remains this way in Revit MEP 2013. Before I take steps to alter the way our panels and parameters are built, I would like to reiterate this question: Does anyone have any input on why MCB Rating is a Type Parameter and Mains is an Instance Parameter? This has always seemed very backwards to me.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
useanalog
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The reason is simple: the autodesk programmer monkeys are not engineers.

I have started using the term "Revit-ese" when communicating with colleagues.  Revit calls it one thing, the real-world-engineering term is something else, and sometimes contradictory.  

I wish the simple answer was to use "MCB Rating" as your bus rating and "Mains" as your MCB.  I hesitate to do this because a) it will confuse people, and b) autodesk may eventually fix the issue, potentially creating problems should a project be upgraded to the "fixed" version.

There are work-arounds, they are all poor, and we simply have to deal with it.  😕

Message 4 of 5
bscott

Agreed.  Autodesk? 

Message 5 of 5
ltadachi

I also think this is backwards. I'm wondering if they will ever reverse it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report