Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No gaps in 3D piping views

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
RandMan
5921 Views, 6 Replies

No gaps in 3D piping views

I am using Revit MEP 2012 to draw plumbing risers in the Hidden Line visual style.  There are no gaps in the pipe that is "behind" in the vew.  I've adjusted the MEP settings.  The Hidden Line  style works in plan-view.  Can't seem to find any documentation on this issue. 

I think I must be overlooking some simple setting.  Cutting the line-behind (with a gap) is a standard drafting convention.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
julianjameson8403
in reply to: RandMan

That's true on a drafting convention when look at 2D documentation, but is it as important on a 3D detail such as you are showing? I would say the message is clear in the image you have displayed.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
abulla
in reply to: julianjameson8403

Just for fun, here are a few examples of riser diagrams we've done straight from Revit. I was really doubtful that these would turn out well, but I was pleasantly surprised. While it can get cluttered in some places, I'd say they're fairly readable (they were accepted by the city anyways). I'll admit, AutoCAD risers look better, especially with the hidden line gap issue, but being able to generate a quick 3d riser with tags from Revit is a huge time saver.

gas riser.PNGsanitary riser.PNGwater riser.PNG

Message 4 of 7
RandMan
in reply to: abulla

Thanks for your replies.  I design complex systems, such as grocery store plumbing.  The image I posted was an extreme close-up.  Full-size plots can be confusing.  We show a lot more detail in the isometric, so 3D is the view that needs to be the best, not the plan veiw. 

So this is a known issue?  I'll be working on a work-around.

Message 5 of 7
Chris.Aquino

The Gap settings are for plan, elevation, and section views only. In 3D view Revit does not consider "in front" or "behind" as it does in the other views as the resources to do so would be too great.

If you would like this functionality to change, this link is setup for you to submit feature requests, or feedback, directly to our Development group.

I encourage you to use the feedback link as our Development group is always interested and would like to hear your feedback directly, since you are better suited to state the business case for a feature request.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 6 of 7

Gaps where one pipe passes behind another are desparately needed when using single line piping representation.  Otherwise the perception can flip and give a totally eroneous perception of the layout.

Message 7 of 7
John_Hamilton

Has this been revisited at all?  I'm making 3D riser diagrams and would love gaps between pipes to show up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report