Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with using formulas

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Mehdi.Kardehi
454 Views, 6 Replies

Need help with using formulas

I made two project paramters as below

Gas Refrigerant Connection Diameter

Gas Line Radius

Gas Line Radius is actually a the radius of my pipe connection in my drawing which I added a parameter to using "DI"

Why I am getting the attached error?

Your help is greatly appreciated 😉

Cheers,

M

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ajax05k
in reply to: Mehdi.Kardehi

just remove the brackets

formula family.png

Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 3 of 7
CoreyDaun

That's peculiar. The parentheses are not causing the issue here; you can have "stand-alone" parentheses that enclose a single Parameter, but you don't need them; they are purely extraneous.

By your image, the Parameter names appear to be identical. Try highlighting the Parameter name for "Gas Refrigerant Connection Diameter", copying to clipboard (CTRL+C), and then pasting into the formula field for "Gas Line Radius" (CTRL+V). If this still returns the error, please post the file here.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 7
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Unfortunately the problem is non of above....I also tried this for other parameters like Liq line and drain line and same error message...plz see the family file attached

Cheers,

M

Message 5 of 7
ajax05k

The problem is that "Gas Refrigerant Connection Diameter" is a shared parameter, you cannot use shared parameter as formula for other family parameter[I think], but the other way is possible i.e, use "Gas Line Radius * 2" as formula in "Gas Refrigerant Connection Diameter".
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 6 of 7
CoreyDaun

You can reference Shared Parameters in formulas freely; that's not the issue, either. There is something wrong with the Shared Parameter's Name; there is somehow a space at the end of the name which is causing the error. If you created the Parameter through the Revit interface, this shouldn't have been allowed, so was this Shared Parameter created some other way?

You can fix this, but you'll have to open and modify all of your Families that contain it. Find your Shared Parameters File (.txt) and open it. Find this Parameter in the list and manually delete the rouge space after it's name. Save it, and now you have to go to all of your Families, remove the "bad" parameter and re-add the corrected one.

Edit:

This is a big mess, since now I see that there are many Shared Parameters that have a space at the end of their name. These should all be fixed, which is no easy task (except that you have that new add-in to help! Smiley Wink). Here as the ones I noticed in the atached Family:

Operating Voltage

Maximum Current/Circuit Breaker Size

Frequency

Total Cooling Capacity @ Design Ambient Conditions

Sensible Cooling Capacity @ Design Ambient Conditions

Nominal Total Cooling Capacity

Nominal Sensible Cooling Capacity

Nominal Heating Capacity

Heating Capacity @ Design Ambient Conditions

Designed Total Cooling Capacity

Designed Sensible Cooling Capacity

Nominal Airflow

Liquid Refrigerant Connection Diameter

Gas Refrigerant Connection Diameter

Drain Connection Diameter

Supply Price

Installation Price

Also, avoid using parentheses and other operational characters ( ) - + < > , / in your Parameter Names. It makes it impossible to reference them formulas.

Sound Level @ 1.5 m (dBA)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 7
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks Guys

It's all fixed now...:)

And yes Corey...I used that magic addon to save a bit of time Smiley Wink

The problem was that space....I didn't know a space at the end is so important

Actually what I have done was I had all the parameter units in the parameter name for my schedules to look different then I decided to remove all the units like (mm) by opening my shared parameters file and deleting them...That space must have been left then..

Cheers,

M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report