Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
509 Views, 4 Replies

NEC

Which version of the NEC is the electrical portion of Revit Systems based
upon?

David
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Martin__Schmid
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi David-

I don't think it can be said that RSY is based the NEC... creating a tool around a particular standard or code would limit flexibility.

MS, P.E.

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

This is from the help section - Help>Electrical Settings:

David Haynes
Ideate, Inc.

wrote in message
news:5226373@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi David-

I don't think it can be said that RSY is based the NEC... creating a tool
around a particular standard or code would limit flexibility.

MS, P.E.
Message 4 of 5
Martin__Schmid

Hmm.. reading the help files, eh?

This is in reference to the table stored in the WireSizes.xml file, which is based on the NEC table referenced... but can certainly be modified if necessary to be non-NEC based.

The way I read this is that there are two options for sizing the Neutral... 1) The neutral will be the same size as the Hot conductor, regardless if there is any current in the neutral, or 2) The neutral will be sized based on the current in the neutral (using the WireSizes.xml file for the table lookup).

I spot checked the referenced table in my 2005 and 1996 NEC and didn't see any differences.... the user could modify the WireSizes.xml file, if necessary, to provide adjusted values to the table.

I haven't tried sizing wires to compare the two methods yet... if I find anything contrary to my expectations, I'll post a follow up message.

HTH,
Martin Schmid, P.E.
Autodesk Consulting

Martin Schmid
Product Line Manager
Mechanical Detailing and Electrical Design
Architecture, Engineering, and Construction
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
t.nash

Is there a WireSizes.xml file available for use in UK or Europe, or do we have to generate it from scratch?

If one is available will the cable sizing within Revit comply with UK standards or will this be passed out to IES and imported back in.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report