Revit MEP

Valued Contributor
TexasJetter
Message 1 of 14 (1,464 Views)

Multi Circuit Wire Tick Marks

1464 Views, 13 Replies
08-06-2008 12:18 PM
When you have a multi circuit home run Revit will properly add home run arrows and phase/hot wires. However it will not add additional neutral or ground wires. If you have more than 3 circuits (usually A/B/C phase) in a home run it is necessary to run an additional neutral. Additionally if you have less than 3 circuits and more than one are on the same phase (ie. ckt 1 and 2 are both on phase A) they must have their own neutral. Revit does not accommodate this.

To compound matters, if the home run is a multi circuit then you cannot manually modify the number of wire ticks (see attached jpg). On a single circuit home run I can modify the number of wire ticks for each wire (hot, neutral, and ground), but as soon as I make it a multi circuit home run this is disabled.

What is the purpose of the Tick Marks=Calculated/On/Off property? I can tell when the property is off the tick is not displayed, but Calculated/On do not seem to have any effect.

I also tried creating a new wire type that had the "Share Neutral Conductor" and "Share Ground Conductor" unchecked. This seemed to have no effect, so I am not sure what these Family Parameters govern.

Is there something I am missing or is this a Revit limitation/oversight?

thanks,
Jeff
Active Contributor
casquatch
Message 2 of 14 (1,000 Views)

Re: Multi Circuit Wire Tick Marks

01-02-2013 09:08 AM in reply to: TexasJetter

TexasJetter,

Were you ever given any response to this? I just had this question come up, and I don't see that it is any different in 2012 MEP. What did you end up doing?

Thanks,
Casey

keturah1977
Message 3 of 14 (939 Views)

01-25-2013 03:15 PM in reply to: casquatch

I am also dealing with a similar issue with the tick marks. I am working in Revit MEP 2013 and there still doesn't seem to be a way for Revit to produce the desired result on its own. I believe this is an instance where I am just going to have to "fake" the information. In my case I have used a j-box family with multiple connectors for the multiple loads so that it shows up correctly on my panel schedules. I will have to manually draw the home run and  to represent the number of nutrals and hots in the order that I want and then creat a group out if those elements. It will be a visual represnetation only and I will have to use a standard piece of annotation  to describe the home run information. I don't know of any other way to show the tick marks for multiple circuits such as these. I would be interested to know what others have done to work around this issue.

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 4 of 14 (745 Views)

06-06-2013 11:01 AM in reply to: keturah1977

For you people who are seeing these issues with lack of content development for Revit, do the benefits of Revit pay off? I work for a company with about 10 people in the CAD department, and only 1 knows Revit enough to work in it, but he only does 3D coordination and detail work ... not basic electrical wiring.

The lack of wiring is one reason we, as a company, have not moved to Revit. Do you people see a benefit to the automatic scheduling that outweigh the loss of wire customization and other "lack of electrical development"-related issues?

I'm curious to know,

Shawn

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Active Contributor
DMaurer-Veca
Message 5 of 14 (737 Views)

06-06-2013 03:37 PM in reply to: TexasJetter

My short answer is yes. To get around the limitation of the circuit wiring I use callouts (via tags attached to the conduit runs, where I fill in the circuitry information in the comment space). I am currently working for an electrical contractor doing project design for design/build contracts. We do not have a lot of standards established like an engineering firms would have. So It has been easy for me to adapt to Revit MEP's standards. I was dissappointed that I couldn't export the auto-filled panel schedules to excel where I could work with the data (I guess there is third party software which will enable this feature). I still have much to learn.

Diane M
Active Contributor
jmlarias
Message 6 of 14 (716 Views)

06-14-2013 08:51 AM in reply to: DMaurer-Veca

Have you checked the checkBox in the wire type options? Check it out and tell me if it helped you.

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 7 of 14 (701 Views)

06-14-2013 10:08 AM in reply to: jmlarias

No, it would only work in certain applications, but I also feel that's more coincidental than intent. On a 3-phase electrical system, you can share 1 neautral for each phase hot conductor. So if I had 6 circuits, there would only be 2 neutrals.

Shawn B.

To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Active Contributor
jmlarias
Message 8 of 14 (696 Views)

06-14-2013 12:04 PM in reply to: keturah1977

I intended to answer your post last time and ended answering another person. It seems that everybody get informed of recent posts.

hot = Potential

ground = Grounding conductor

(Just to make it shorter)

I checked it again and it seems to be working fine with 3Ø systems. I attached a picture of what looks like. I have 4 circuits in one line (12 hots, 4 neutrals, 4 grounds) and another with a 3Ø(without neutral) and 1Ø (4 hot,  1 neutral and two grounds)

Maybe I did not understand the problem, I can wire all my circuits without big problems so far. The hardest was to select the size I wanted manually but I found a way out of it too (I was lucky).

Wires.png

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 9 of 14 (677 Views)

06-15-2013 08:55 AM in reply to: jmlarias

Maybe there's some setting I'm missing somewhere? This is just a test file I'm working in. If you have time, could you see if you can resolve the problem, and inform me as to what I was doing wrong? Below is a link to download the Revit file via Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txe5qwxhfpfmc7g/Power%20Wiring.rvt

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn B.

Active Contributor
jmlarias
Message 10 of 14 (673 Views)

06-15-2013 11:02 AM in reply to: smbrennan85

Ok, I proceeded like this.

You had this:before.png

After that, I selected one of the wires and clicked edit type and UNCHECKED the options for share neutral and also share ground. After that, I clicked apply and  I had this:

after.png

Have a nice weekend ! !

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube